Chapter 41

I look at Novak as if I see water burning. Where does this boy come from? Where has he been the past day? Why does he want to come with me? Why didn't he come to me while I was still with Myles, Sara and Timon? There are so many questions racing through my head that I don't have the focus to answer Novak's question.

Do I want Novak as my travel companion? Being alone with a boy is not something I like to do. Do I trust him? A little. I don't like being alone with a boy, and I don't like being alone in this unknown world. It's choosing between two evils, though I doubt I have a choice.

'Earth to Celeste.' I snap awake from my thoughts and look into the two blue eyes. It's weird to hear my real name from his mouth. Isn't he mad at me?

'Why did he disappear?' I ask before I can think about what I want to ask first. I notice that I am slowly getting easier at asking things of others, I don't know how and why. Maybe it's because of the fading threat of Christiaan, although he will always be in my mind.

'I'm always up for an adventure I said.' Novak says it as if it is the most normal thing in the world. It gives me no explanation. I sit up a little straighter in the saddle.

'You're not mad at me?' I ask in surprise. Novak laughs. His hand slips into the pocket of his long black coat. He takes the recognisable tin from his jacket pocket and takes out a cigarette.

'No, I'm not angry, shocked maybe. I hate the royal family, I hate Franders and the king. I know now that you are the crown princess but that doesn't change the fact that you come across as a friendly person.' Novak puts the cigarette between his lips, takes a match from the box and lights it. He holds the burning match in front of the cigarette until it is lit and then swings out the match. He throws the match away and takes the cigarette from between his lips. I sit intrigued by his movements.

'There is something about you that interests me and I want to find out what it is. Besides, I'm always up for an adventure, like I said.' He takes another puff of the cigarette, before taking it between his finger and holding it out to me.

I look at it for a few seconds and then take the cigarette out from between his fingers. I take a puff and let the smoke slide over my lungs. I blow out the smoke and think about his words.

Novak travels a lot, from what I understand, so his knowledge is more than welcome. As long as he stays at a certain personal distance, I don't see any further problems in it. He didn't seem to have any sexual intentions with me while I was sleeping in that room.

I hand Novak the cigarette back and sigh deeply.

'Okay.' Novak grins and takes a puff of his cigarette.

'So, where are we going?' he asks as he lets the smoke slide through his nostrils. I look ahead at the dense dark forest.

'The Andes, the blood mountain.' Novak looks at me in surprise. He lowers his hand, with the cigarette, beside his body.

'The blood mountain? You know you can't go in there.' I nod sagely.

The Blood Mountain is where the bloodline in our earth is strongest, where the darkest magic runs. That was always the place where Nora, Tristan and Viko met. If they could hide anywhere, it must be there.

'I have to find Tristan and Viko, the other two Night Riders. That's the only place I can think of.' Novak looks ahead in doubt, seems to be sorting everything out. The idea is crazy, perhaps impossible. Unfortunately, it's the only thing my head can think of.

'Okay.' Surprised, I look at Novak. His blue eyes have settled on me, look determined

'We're going to the Blood Mountain,' Novak explains. I am confused at how confidently he utters these words. I can only nod.

Novak throws his cigarette butt into the grass and takes the reins of the horse. He seems to want to leave until he thinks of something. He turns his head in my direction and looks at me inquiringly.

'The journey to the Blood Mountain on horseback is a month, maybe longer. We will have to stop to find food. The nearest people are the Half Moon Pack. I suggest we go there.'  Halfmoon, or werewolves. If there's one people my father wants exterminated, it's werewolves. The chance of me being loved there is very small. I look at Novak nervously, wondering if this is a good idea.

'Don't worry, I know wolves there,' Novak tries to reassure me. I nod slowly. What did I expect? That I wouldn't encounter other peoples? The longer I think about that the more unlikely it becomes.

'Let's go,' Novak suggests. I nod and take the reins of my horse. I'm surprised Novak doesn't ask any further questions about my origins, not that I'm complaining about it. I would rather avoid the subject forever, never have to think about it again.

I jerk the reins and Bles' legs start to move. We shoot further into the forest, with the sound of Novak's horse in the background.

The horses' hooves hit the grass, echoing along the trees. The trees whizz past as if we are flying through the forest like a bird. The black leaves fall from the trees alongside us, whirling in the grass. The wind whistles past my ears, makes my dress and hair float in the air. The only sound audible is the horses' hooves and the wind. It is a sound of approaching silence, something we do not need to pay attention to.

I wonder where this journey will take me, where it will go and where it will end. Something tells me that this journey will not pass quickly, that it will leave scars. It will not end with finding Tristan and Viko, it will only end when my father is no longer alive. I have no gift for seeing the future, just a feeling I carry with me. This is the end of my past life and the beginning of a new one.

 This is the end of my past life and the beginning of a new one