-B2- Chapter 62

Novak gives a small laugh before pouring a glass of beer for everyone and placing the plate of chicken in the middle of the table.

With the glass against my lips, I look at Elien, who sits nervously glancing around like a skittish horse. The crowd, the people, the surroundings; sometimes I forget that everything is still new to him.

Slowly, I place my glass back on the table and look at my little brother.

'Have a glass of beer, it helps.' It's not great advice, but it's true. Elien smiles faintly before doing exactly as I say.

The chicken and another pitcher of beer are quickly devoured by the four of us. Hunger and fatigue from the long journey are taking a toll on us more than we realize.

'El, why don't you go get some more beer,' says Novak, no longer entirely sober, as he pushes the pitcher towards Elien. Uncertain, Elien's dark eyes shift from the pitcher to me before he gets up, takes the pitcher, and walks away.

Without realizing it, the three of us immediately turn and follow Elien as he heads to the bar. The awkward fourteen-year-old stands next to a woman slightly older than him and seems to become even more uncomfortable.

'Maybe he's into men,' Alisha suggests with a shrug and a tipsy grin.

'What?' I ask in surprise. Elien is approached by the woman behind the bar, and at the same time, the girl next to him starts a conversation with him.

'He's just as awkward with women as you are with men,' Novak laughs at Alisha, who then gives him a raised eyebrow.

'That's... not true.' I shake my head, laughing, and watch as Elien engages in an actual conversation with a stranger.

'Oh really? Remember three years ago.' My eyes shift from Elien to Alisha, who suddenly turns bright red.

'We're never talking about that again.' Curiously, I turn back and look at Novak, questioning him.

'Does this concern what I think it does?' I inquire about the night when the two of them shared a bed.

'Yes.'

'No.' Alisha buries her face in her hands.

'Tell me everything,' I grin.

Months ago, I was angry when I learned about this information, but now I'm tipsy and confident enough in Novak to want to know.

'Absolutely not,' Alisha responds immediately, but Novak doesn't give her a chance.

'Three years ago, I lived with Asa's pack for months. We became good friends, so much so that I was allowed to attend some of the high gatherings. Back then, Walmoet wasn't yet the king, so his father came to visit. I struck up a conversation with the man after dinner, and he invited me to visit him in Silverwood. After spending more weeks with Asa, who was busy training to become Alpha and had less time, I left and, as agreed, visited the elves. In comparison to Walmoet, the man was more progressive and wanted to learn about different cultures, so I served there to provide that information.'

Alisha turns as red as a tomato while trying to hide her face in her arms.

'Alisha and I bumped into each other, literally, at the spring festival. I think we both had a bit too much to drink that night because I don't remember exactly how it happened, except that we had a connection in the conversations we were having. We ended up in bed at her place, and the next morning, we both woke up with only half of our memories and agreed never to do it again,' Novak finishes his story.

'That's not true, I remember it all,' Alisha contradicts him, pointing her finger at him.

'Was he so bad back then?' I ask with a grin, earning me an offended look from Novak.