Chapter 23

It's not that I have a fear of vampires, not like the rest of the residents in the castle. Through my many flights, I've come to know several vampires. Generally, they are less evil than my father, which is not necessarily a difficult task. Vampires are seen as murderous bloodsuckers, but it's not as if they have a choice. It is drink blood or die, there is no other option.

The information comes in slowly, is processed and given a place. I am in a vampire camp, one of the biggest there is. The black forest is at the foot of the Andes, 2,434 kilometres, sixteen days of walking, seven days on a horse and five hours flying, away from the castle. You would say that should be enough, but all I can think of is how to get further away from the castle.

Only then does the memory return, the memory of Nora's death. Her lifeless body in the grass, the shot dragon and the sound of the cannon. I don't want to believe that Nora is dead, I can't take it mentally. I don't want to think about the nasty things they do to her body. Just the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Tristan and Viko appear in my mind. I shake off the blanket as fast as my broken body can move. I have to get out of here, find Tristan and Viko and free Elien from the castle. I don't care how much my muscles hurt, I have to get out of here. I knock my legs off the bed with my teeth together. I put my feet on the floor with a sigh and push myself off the bed.

My thoughts of walking out of this room are instantly past. As soon as pressure is put on my ankle, I almost cry out in pain. My ankle cannot hold the weight and collapses. I threaten to fall to the ground with a painful groan, but am caught.

'I wouldn't do that if I were you.' I look into the deep blue eyes of the boy. His hands are on my sides, holding me upright. He holds me so tight that there is barely any pressure on my ankle. Only then do I notice that my ankle is bandaged with a white bandage, both around my ankle and my foot. It looks like someone with intelligence has done it, it is tight and neat.

'It has to rest for at least a week before you can stand on it properly.' Again my eyes go to the two blue ones in front of me. He has bandaged my ankle? I sigh deeply, I don't have that time. If I don't get out of here soon there will be nothing left to save.

'I don't have that time,' it's the second thing I say to the boy, this time with less pain in pronouncing it. Something undeniable makes me feel in no danger with the boy, but trust is another thing.

'Then you make time.' After these words, the boy takes a step back and sets me down gently on the bed. I sit on the edge of the bed and look at the boy. His eyes are slightly amused and it irritates me. If I don't get out of here, it could also be the end of him.

I follow the boy's movements closely as he takes a step aside. Next to the bed is a small table with a tray on it. On the tray is a jug with several cups next to it. He takes the jug from the table and pours its contents into a cup. He carefully puts the jug back on the tray and picks up the cup, holding it out to me. The cup is black, as everything here seems black. There are small white decorations in the rim of the cup. It has no handle, so you have to hold it in your hand.

I am so fascinated by the simple cup that I forget he is holding it up to me. I swallow, wondering if I should take it.

'It's tea, there's nothing crazy about it.' As if he can read my mind, he answers my question. Doubtful, I nod and take the cup. My eyes go to the light brown liquid. Here and there, a yellow-brown leaf floats in the liquid. I run my nose over the cup, smelling the scent of green tea. Carefully, I take a sip. The warm tea fills my mouth, makes my mouth less dry.

The boy sits down on the bed, looks at me. I automatically move away from him a little. His eyes are confused, worried.

'What's your name?' he asks softly. I clasp the cup between my hands for warmth.

'Maria,' is my lie, which I hope to keep. I know nothing about him, not even his name, so don't think I'm going to trust him.

'Novak,' the boy introduces himself. I just nod, not knowing what to say. There is silence between us for a while. The silence is both pleasant and uncomfortable.

Slowly my memories start to come back. I remember how my nazu turned and flew away from the castle, then it's black. My nazu! Where is Rave?

'How do I get here?' Novak's gaze shoots from the wall to me.

'I was going to ask you that,' he replies emotionally.

'Was there a dragon with me?' Novak nods slowly. I release my bated breath and calm down a little. Again there is an awkward silence. The conversation is anything but smooth, there are many silences and little is said. On the one hand, I don't mind, on the other, I don't know what to do with it.

'Where is the dragon now?' Novak gets up from the bed. He turns 180 degrees and puts his hands in his pockets. His blue eyes are fixed on me.

'If all goes well, it should be in the same place where it landed.' This information is of no use to me. That is why I look at Novak as if I see water burning. He is still standing still in front of me and doesn't seem to be planning to say anything. His eyes are staring ahead of him, making it seem as if he is lost in thought.

'On the square,' he clarifies himself. Then, without another word, he walks towards the door. I sit on the bed staring at him, perplexed, not knowing what to do. Before he would walk out of the door, he turns around and looks at me.

'You need rest. As soon as you wake up, a servant will bring you food.' After those words, he pushes down the door handle and walks out of the room.

I sit on the bed confused and not knowing what to do with the whole situation. I can't stand at the moment so running away is not an option. I am exhausted so sleep would be welcome. I don't feel threatened. All these thoughts go through my head like an endless tornado, until I decide that taking my rest now is the best option. I don't know when the next moment will come when I can sleep for an hour.

I decide to get back into bed, leaving my filthy and broken dress on. You never know when someone will take advantage of the situation. I pull the covers up to my neck over myself and sigh deeply. The last time I was in a bed without anyone else must have been before my marriage to Christiaan. I can hardly remember a night when I wasn't afraid to be touched by his filthy hands. It feels strange and safe at the same time.

I don't want to think about how I'm going to get away from this place, my body doesn't even give me the time. My eyes close almost as soon as my head hits the soft pillow. I fall into a tired sleep almost immediately.

 I fall into a tired sleep almost immediately