Chapter One - Blonde Menace

Opening her dark brown eyes slowly, Penny squinted through the blurriness to the tiny kid now sitting on top of her.

"Wake up! Wake up, wake up, wake up!" The blonde haired menace was bouncing up and down, pushing Penny's breath from her lungs each time she came down. Who knew a 6 year old could be so heavy. She groaned, looking over at the clock on the table. She squinted to see the small red numbers. 6:32. The little devil. Small hands found their way to her face, poking and prodding it, pushing softly at her eyelids and pulling on her long, wavy black hair. "Are you awake Penny?"

"Now I am." she answered the little girl, removing the hands from her face. As her eyes cleared from the constant poking, she found bright blue eyes staring at her, a toothy grin on the small child's face. How could she be mad at that smile?

"I'm hungry." Callie complained. Her face morphed into a little pout, knowing that it was Penny's weakness. Penny propped herself up on her elbows, and she replied with,

"Well what are we going to do about that now?" She let Callie climb off of her, and she swung her feet over the bed, feet hitting the cool ground. "Do you need me to make you some breakfast?" The blonde nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes! Eggs please!"

"Alright let's not get ahead of ourselves. Why don't you go downstairs and wait for me? I'll be down in a minute." Callie obeyed, thanks to the promise of breakfast, and she sped out the door and down the stairs, almost falling in her slippery socks. Quickly closing the door, Penny grabbed her favourite pair of sweatpants out of the shared dresser between her and her roommates, along with a t-shirt and a sweater. Pulling everything on quickly, she apologized to Marla, who was woken up by Callie. She shared a room with 3 other girls, it was a tight squeeze, but they all fit.

She had moved here when she was 10. Something about being too old to stay at the previous one in France. The orphanage was fairly big, and was pretty nice compared to the other one. It had an upper floor with 6 rooms lining a long hallway, all with four people occupying them. There were about 24 kids here, give or take, and the youngest were 5. On the ground floor was a large, open area that was usually used when people came to visit, furnished with some chairs and some toys for the younger kids. To the left was the kitchen that she had now entered to find Callie. It was a nice place, and Penny wouldn't take that for granted.

"Alright let's see what we can make you." She said to Callie, who was waiting for her. She opened the fridge to find the eggs Callie wanted. "Scrambled?"

"Yes yes yes!" How Callie was so awake at 6:30 would forever be a mystery.

"Ok ok ok!" She called back, smiling, in the same tone. Callie could make anyone happy, just by giving them a smile. It was like her superpower. Pushing up her sleeves, Penny grabbed some eggs, cracking them into a bowl and whipping them up. Turning on the small stove, she set a frying pan over the heat and waited for it to warm up. When it did, she put a small amount of butter in the pan and swirled it around, and followed by adding the eggs.

"Why don't you go wake up Jake, Emma and Shawn, Callie?" Penny asked. The four kids were the youngest there, Emma and Shawn being 5 and Callie and Jake being 6. Everyone called them the littles, and they were inseparable. Penny was surprised they hadn't all come to wake her up. Callie bounded off, eager to wake her "siblings". They weren't actually siblings of course, but it was easiest to call them that.

Finishing the eggs, Penny dropped them in a heap on four different plates, leaving some for the other kids. It was routine. Penny woke up, cooked breakfast for the littles, and had some leftovers for the older kids. She was one of the oldest kids here, being fifteen, the only other two older than her were Isaiah and Charlotte, who were both 16, and one other 15 year old.