Chapter Eighteen - Style

"Woah." Penny stared out the window as they drove up the giant driveway, if it could even be classified as a driveway, up to the compound. Steve chuckled from the front seat.

"Yeah it's pretty impressive the first couple times."

"It looks amazing." She admitted, as they rolled up to the front doors. Before she could pop her door open, Bucky grabbed her arm.

"Last chance Pen. You don't have to do this. We can just go home."

"Now it sounds like you're making excuses for yourself." Penny joked. He didn't look amused.

"I'm serious Penny," he said, "We can go home and forget about this."

"Dad." She said, looking him in the eyes. "I'm going to be find. D'accord?" (Okay?) He stared at her for a minute, before finally relenting.

"D'accord." He agreed. So Penny popped open her door, and climbed out, taking her luggage from Steve. As they walked in, Penny took her dad's hand, squeezing it tight.

"But Mr. Stark!"

"No kid I don't wanna hear it!" As soon as they walked in the door, chaos began. A teen who seemed a couple years older than her was arguing with a man with some really cool sunglasses on. Penny glanced over at Steve, confused, but he only shook his head and shrugged.

"Oh hi!" Penny heard from her left. The two people had finished arguing and had turned to see Penny come in.

"Rogers. Barnes." The sunglasses guy, Mr. Stark?, nodded at them. Then he turned to her. "And you must be Penny." Before she could respond, the brown haired boy cut in.

"Penny? Cool name. I'm Peter. Nice to meet you." His eyes were wide and bright, the sunlight coming in from the glass doors glinting in them.

"Nice to meet you too Peter." She smiled at him, before turning to Mr. Stark. "So you're Tony Stark then?"

"That's me." A lopsided smile sat on his face. Penny took in his outfit. A Black Sabbath shirt, frayed and scorched jeans that looked like they had been through hell, and of course, the oddly shaped sunglasses pushed up into messy brown hair. She looked back at Bucky, smiling, before commenting,

"Je pensais qu'il aurait un meilleur style." (I thought he would have better style.) Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Bucky hide his laughter, but his eyes were still alight with laughter. Both Steve and Tony furrowed their eyebrows, and Tony added a cocked eyebrow.

"Huh? What? What does that even mean?" Tony questioned. "Anyone?"

"Elle a dit que tu as un mauvais style. Et je suis d'accord." (She said you have bad style. And I agree.) The woman who walked into the lobby was familiar. The red hair, small braids bouncing as she walked. A leather jacket adorned her shoulders, a red shirt underneath. Now she remembered. This was the woman that had visited Bucky. Nat.

"Ok all I'm hearing is style. Oh are you complimenting my clothes?" Tony cut in, a shit-eating grin on his face as he turned to Penny. "That's so nice of you." Penny saw the Nat woman roll her eyes, and she couldn't help but smile.

"So, you're Penny." The red haired woman walked up to her and shook her hand. "I'm Natasha, or Nat if you want."

"Nice to meet you. I like your braids." Penny complimented her.

"Oh thank you." She thanked Penny, a wistful look in her eyes. Tony had walked back to them, Peter on his heels.

"So Penny, why don't we show you your room?"

———————————————————————

It was huge. There was no way all of this was hers, yet there was only one huge bed and closet.

"You can set your stuff down and I'll show you around." She jumped at the sound a voice, she must have zoned out. Turning around, only Peter was at the door, everyone else having left to who knows where.

"Oh, thanks. Where did everyone else go?" She asked as they walked down the mind-bending hallways.

"Had to go to a briefing about the mission. But don't worry Bucky will come and say goodbye." Peter reassured her. She nodded gratefully at that.

They wandered all the halls, and Penny tried her hardest to remember where everything was, but with the large, spanning floors and what felt like millions of rooms, it was hard. It was unbelievable. There were a million labs and rooms of all sorts. It made her think there were a lot of people here, but Peter told her there wasn't.

"Yeah they all have lives, ya know? They prefer to keep the saving out of their lives for the most part. Most of them have been... badly affected by it."

"What about you?" Penny asked. She saw him panic a little before saying, "Are you Mr. Stark's helper or something?" That seemed to settle his panic a little.

"Oh yeah, I'm his intern!" His eyes lit up at the sentence. And now Penny knew what he liked the most. Science. Man, he could talk for hours if you let him. But Penny enjoyed it, he seemed genuinely happy and it also meant Penny didn't have to talk as much.

They arrived back at her room, which was thankfully close to Peter's so he could show her around, and Peter was still talking about science, physics now. She thought.

"Yeah that's how nano tech works." He finished his ramble. "Oh sorry was I talking too much? I'm so sorry! I just ramble a lot and-"

"No no! Peter it's fine. It was actually nice, you know a lot about this stuff, I'm actually kinda learning things."

"You two are getting along well." Tony's voice cut in. He was standing at Penny's door with Bucky.

"Yeah! I was telling her about nano tech, and she actually listened to all..." Peter's voice trailed off as Tony walked him away, leaving Penny with her dad.

"You're leaving now?" Penny could tell hits from his face. His eyebrows were knit together, and he had a sad look in his eyes.

"Yeah. I just came to say bye."

"Don't say it like that. It makes it seem like you're going away forever." Penny tried to laugh, hiding her tears.

"Pen. Don't worry ok? I'll be back." He reassured her, pulling her into a hug. "It's only a few weeks. You'll be here with Peter and Tony. Ok?" She couldn't talk, so instead she just nodded her head, tears soaking into Bucky's jacket.

She pulled away after what felt like hours, letting Bucky go. Nat and Steve were standing at the end of the hallway, waiting for Bucky. You'd think for spies they would be a little less obvious.

"Stay safe okay?" Penny asked, pleaded with him.

"I promise." He whispered, before kissing her head, and pulling away, down the hall.