Chapter Seven - Dad! No!

"You WHAT?!"

"Not so loud! Honestly Charlotte. I'm pretty sure they can hear you in China." Penny had just broken the news to Charlotte, resulting in her screaming at the top of her lungs in joy.

"How can I not be?! Penny! That's amazing!" Charlotte attacked her in a hug, crushing Penny in the process. Penny had just gotten to the orphanage, practically bouncing in excitement. Charlotte noticed immediately, so Penny took her to their room to break the news, while Bucky stayed to talk to Pamela.

"I know! I mean I hoped it would happen but I didn't actually think it would!" Penny exclaimed.

"Didn't expect what to happen?" Isaiah's voice came from the door, and both girls turned to see the blond standing in the doorway.

"Penny got-" Penny clamped her hand over Charlotte's mouth.

"I want to tell him!" Charlotte rolled her eyes, before sticking her tongue out and licking Penny's hand. "Hey! Gross!"

"Fine go ahead then." Penny gave her a glare, before wiping her hand on Charlotte's shirt. 

"Hey!" Charlotte jumped back, slapping Penny gently.

"Girls, girls!" Isaiah cut in, turning the attention back to himself. "Cut it out will ya, what were you going to tell me?"

"I got adopted!" Penny exclaimed excitedly. Isaiah's face lit up at the words.

"What? You're serious right now? Not a prank?" He looked at the both of them suspiciously.

"Not a prank! You think I wouldn't be serious about this?" Penny got tackled in a hug as soon as the words left her mouth.

"That's amazing!"

"I know! Bucky's downstairs talking to Pamela right now, figuring out what he has to do and stuff."

"Why is everyone yelling?" This time it was Callie's voice that came from the door. Both Charlotte and Isaiah turned to Penny.

"Come here Callie." Penny said, already dreading breaking the news to Callie. Callie bounded over to her, and jumped onto her lap. "You remember Bucky right?"

"Yeah! He's really nice." Her voice was so innocent and trusting, making it harder to get what Penny had to say out.

"Yeah he is nice. Well, he just asked me something."

"Your favourite colour? Cause I know that one. It's orange." She guessed, eyes innocently staring up at Penny. 

"No it wasn't. He asked me if," Penny paused to take a breath, wondering how Callie would react, "I wanted to go live with him, and become a part of his family." Callie was quiet for a minute, and Penny was starting to get worried. Then, in a small voice, she spoke again.

"Did you say yes?"

"I did."

"Good." Penny was shocked. Of course she wanted a good reaction, but she would've thought there would be at least a little crying. "But, does that mean I don't see you again?" And there it was. There was a small wobble to her voice, and her eyes were shining.

"No of course not Callie." Charlotte added.

"Yeah I'll come and visit. I'll come all the time."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course Callie." Penny wrapped her in a hug, and Callie squeezed back. "I won't just leave you. Besides, you have Charlotte and Isaiah and all your other brothers and sisters."

"You promise?"

"Pinky promise." Penny replied, sticking out her pinky. Callie wrapped her own around Penny's to seal the deal. 

"Is Bucky your dad now?" Penny froze. That's something she hadn't really thought about yet. Sure of course he had adopted her, but it wasn't really to that level yet.

"I-uh, I guess so." It wasn't exactly the truth, but if Callie wanted to believe that, then she could.

"Are we having a party in here or something?" A voice interrupted the moment, as Marla and Vera had come to their room, only to find a gathering of people.

"You could say that." Isaiah answered. 

"Well are we invited?" Vera asked, a teasing tone to her voice.

"Of course!" Callie jumped out of Penny's lap to drag both girls into the room, seating them on their beds. 

"And what exactly is this party for?" Marla questioned. But before Penny could break the news, they heard more voices at the door. This time it was the rest of the littles. They barged in, tackling and taking over the space on the beds. Not long after, Ginny and Oliver were spotted at the door. 

"You've got a nice little club going on here Penny." Ginny stated. She stayed outside the door frame, only leaning her head inside. While she stayed there, Oliver had bounded into the room, joining their little gathering. 

"You gonna come in?" Penny asked Ginny. She studied the small room for a second, about 10 kids collected in a small room. 

"Of course." Ginny finally stated, walking into the room before settling on the floor in front of one of the beds, where Vega and Marla were sitting. Vega reached down, combing through Ginny's hair with her fingers, before starting to braid it. It was well known that Vega loved to braid. Whether it was her own, long, black hair, Marla's dirty blonde hair, any hair she could get ahold of, even Isaiah's. Ginny let her play with hers, and although it was hard to braid short hair, Vega somehow managed. 

As people passed the room, they stopped, confused as to why everyone was crammed in the space. Although some kept walking, most of the kids joined them. After some time, they heard,

"What is going on in here?" Pamela was at the door, smiling at the sight, with Bucky standing behind her. 

"It's a party!" Callie exclaimed. 

"I can see that." Pamela laughed, turning her glance to Penny.

"Don't look at me like that. It's not my fault they all barged in." Penny defended herself. 

"Hey!"

"You did say it was a party."

"I was told I was invited."

"To be honest I did kinda invite myself." 

"Not fair!" Sounds of protest were heard from all around the room, making Pamela laugh, as well as a quiet chuckle from Bucky. 

"I assume you broke the news then?" Pamela questioned, her smile lighting up her face, a slightly proud look on her face. 

"What news?" Ginny asked, confused.

"I'd like to know as well." Vera chimed in.

"Yeah what's going on?" Oliver signed, trying to keep up. But before Penny could get anything out...

"Bucky is Penny's dad!" The whole room pretty much froze, and it went silent. 

"Callie!" Penny protested.

"You said he was." 

"I didn't- well, I-" Penny glanced over at Bucky while she tried to come up with any excuse to cover up her tracks. His face was a mask of shock, and Penny could see the gears turning in his head, trying to make sense of what Callie had just blurted out. But when she caught his gaze, there was something in his eyes. Pride? Hope? Just plain happiness? Luckily, all the other kids saved her.

"You got adopted?"

"What? And I was not told?"

"Yes! I knew it would happen!" 

"You owe me ten bucks!

"I do not! It was only five!"

"I did not think it would be Penny first. No offence."

"Guys!" Penny exclaimed, letting out a small, breathy laugh. "I was going to tell you, but people kept coming in. So yeah, I got adopted." She smiled awkwardly, shrugging her shoulders. A moment later she was attacked with congratulations and hugs, and a few tears.  Everyone was smiling, happy. It was an amazing thing whenever anyone got adopted, it meant they got a chance at a family. And Penny, who thought she would never get the opportunity, was now getting a chance.