Chapter Fifteen - That Went Well

They were going to see them today. It had been two weeks since the fire, and things hadn't gotten that much easier. But it helped having Bucky by her side. Pamela had called multiple times over the past two weeks, Penny had even had the courage to speak to her, even if it was only for a couple seconds. 

Everyone had been found a place to stay, even if they were split up. Since the fire had scorched everything in it's path, no one was able to live at the orphanage anymore, so Pamela took to finding a safe place for everyone to stay. Maria had been a big help, housing more than a couple kids at her place. That's where Penny and Bucky were going. 

They arrived to the house a while later, and walked up to the door. Bucky knocked softly on the wood, before stepping back, looking over to Penny. She gave him a nod, confirmation she was ready, or she was telling herself that. The door opened a few seconds later, with a frazzled looking Maria, and Monica at her heels. 

"Penny!" Monica exclaimed, rushing out the front door to attack Penny with a bone crushing hug. Penny stumbled back a step, before catching her balance, and wrapping her arms around the small girl. 

"Hey Monica." Penny had a small smile on her face, before pulling away to look at the girl. 

"Why don't you come inside? I can make some tea?" Maria suggested. She led them inside the house, Monica running in front of them. She didn't see anyone yet, they must have been upstairs or outside. But either way it made her nervous, and she started to chew her nails. Bucky noticed the nervous habit, gently placing a hand on top of hers, quietly telling her to stop. 

"It's going to be fine." He reassured her quietly. Penny silently nodded, really only half agreeing with her. They came into the kitchen, sitting down at the table, as Maria put on a kettle. Suddenly, Monica came running into the kitchen, three kids on her heels. Emma, Shawn and Jake. They headed straight for Penny, jumping into her lap and wrapping their arms around her. 

"Woah! Hey guys!"

"Hey!" Emma exclaimed, "I'm a girl!" Penny laughed softly.

"Right sorry. Guys and girl." Penny smiled down at the three of them, they all seemed good. "Do you like Maria's house?"

"Yeah!"

"Yes!"

"Totally! We get to play with Monica and run around in the backyard!" Shawn beamed. 

"Did you know Maria has a plane?" Jake asked Penny, eyes shining with excitement.

"I did not." Penny answered, smiling back down at him. "You'll have to show me later." Jake's smile widened even more, before there was a small knock on the door frame. Looking up, Penny caught eyes with both Charlotte and Isaiah, both looking relieved, and maybe a bit nervous. Charlotte's eyes looked puffy, hair limp but otherwise looking okay.

"Hey why don't we go play in the backyard for a little bit? We can look at the plane." Maria suggested, ushering all the little kids out of the kitchen and to the backyard. 

"I think I'll join them. I'd like to see the plane." Bucky said, giving Penny one more glance before following Maria and the kids out the door. In a rush, Charlotte bounded toward Penny, engulfing herself in a hug. Penny wrapped her arms around her, resting her forehead on Charlotte's shoulder. 

"It's so good to see you Pen." Charlotte mumbled, and Penny couldn't help but tear up a little bit. For what reason, she didn't know. They stood like that for a minute, enjoying the embrace, before a voice cut through the silence,

"I feel like a third wheel here." Both girls chuckled, before stepping away. Isaiah stood in the doorway, his hair had been cut, but looked lifeless. He looked tired, like he hadn't gotten much sleep. Penny glared at him playfully, before going over to him and hugging him too, equally as tight. "We sure have a lot to catch up on don't we?" 

--------------

They left hours later, after being invited to stay for dinner, which was very delicious. Both Isaiah and Charlotte were doing better, although it hadn't hit as hard as it had to Penny. They had each other, and were both helping Maria take care of the four children they had running around the house. Maria was exhausted, she didn't have to say it, you could see it, and Penny told her she could come look after the kids if she ever needed. The three littles knew what had happened, even though they couldn't completely understand. Sure, they missed their friend, but she was in the sky with all the clouds and stars. 

"That went well." Bucky commented after they arrived back home. 

"Yeah. Yeah it did." Penny agreed. She saw him smile, before asking,

"Celebratory doughnuts?"

"You read my mind." She replied. Maybe they would visit Ginny and Oliver next.