Chapter 2

The next day, I made a bit of effort in my appearance. I wore my nice simple black shirt and gray leggings. I brushed my hair before putting it in a messy bun and even took time to find my black-rimmed glasses.

See? Effort.

I grabbed my phone and backpack and went through a standard morning routine before I began my walk to school. My neighborhood was walking distance to the local high school so it gave my dad more time to work. It felt awkward, walking to school as a senior. Normally kids were driving to school by this age. I had a car, but with the school so close, I wanted to try the walk at least once. The building was huge and a lot of students already littered the parking lots and filled the school. I went to the front office and got my schedule before going to find everything by myself. It felt like a setup to get me to talk to people and I wasn't going to fall for it.

But I still had to find my male lead.

I sighed to myself as I walked the hallways observantly. I actually hated talking to people. My social anxiety made it impossible for a single conversation to go well, but I was on a mission. Finally near where I assumed my locker was, my eyes landed on a cute guy in a simple black v-neck and jeans. His hair was long and curly but pulled back to a man bun. He was tall, and seemed fit. He could easily be casted as the misunderstood bad boy with the tribal print tattoo on his arm. I risked it. If nothing else, it would give me dialogue examples. I walked up to him timidly and held my schedule out in front of me.

"E-Excuse me. Today is my first day and I seem to be lost," I said quietly and quickly as I stared at the ground. If my assumption was right, he would be telling me to 'get lost' any minute. What happened next was not what I expected at all. He turned and smiled at me before closing his locker.

"New here, hm? I'm Aiden, a senior. What about yourself?" He asked in a thick Australian accent.

"I-I'm a senior, too. Lucky. No, I'm not saying that it's lucky. My name. My name is Lucky. Actually it's Lucky Lee, but when you say it fast it just sounds like 'luckily'. So you can just call me Lucky, or Lu. My dad normally calls me Lulu," I rambled as my cheeks heated in embarrassment. I was not prepared for this conversation. I think I would've felt better if he'd just told me to get lost.

"Well, Lucky Lee, Lucky Lu, it's nice to meet you. Let's see here... I know where these classrooms are," Aiden started helping by giving me directions to my classes. I sighed in relief as I walked away from the pleasant encounter. Almost immediately, I pulled out my journal and wrote notes in it as I walked. Aiden, surprisingly nice, great visuals, friendly, foreign, hot accent. I could definitely use him as an archetype . I went ahead and put him as male lead archetype one. I made my way to my class and quickly found a seat. Almost immediately, my attention was drawn by an adorable girl sitting next to me. With her blonde hair in two French braids and high cheekbones, she smiled at me as soon as I sat. Her blue eyes were practically sparkling.

"Hi, I'm Melanie. You can call me Mel," she introduced herself.

"I'm Lucky," I smiled back at her awkwardly.

"What a fun name! You're new here right?" She asked. I only nodded.

"Well, if you ever need any help, feel free to ask me. I grew up here so I know everything that goes on around here,"she offered.

"Thanks," I muttered before facing forward for the start of class. I tried my best to pay attention t what the teacher was saying but I was too excited to scoop out new characters at this new school to develop the best romance novel ever. My classes were like any other school. This high school was like any other high school.

Lunch time.

The moment I was dreading. That awkward moment of trying to figure out where I fit in sitting in the cafeteria. I grabbed a quick burrito from the Mexican food line before just looking at the crowding cafeteria. I sighed. It was like looking at a jungle. I held my burrito in my hand and immediately turned around and decided to find a quiet place to eat. I wandered the hallways before seeing the a balcony from the stairwell. I walked up the stairs and smiled a little to myself when I saw a small bench being hidden partially by a wall. I sat down and spooked when my shoulder brushed against someone else's. I almost dropped my burrito.

"Oh my God," I said on impulse. Looking over, the guy didn't even move. He was wearing jeans and a black hoodie that was pulled over his head with his hands in the connected pocket. I sighed before relaxing against the bench. I didn't bother with the stonewall of a guy next to me. He didn't bother looking to me when I bumped into him so I wouldn't bother with him. I unwrapped my burrito and ate in quiet.

"You know, most people would see an occupied bench and find somewhere else to go," the guy finally spoke after I was halfway done with my burrito. I swallowed the bite I had in my mouth before looking over to him. He was still facing forward with his hood up so I couldn't see his face.

"You didn't seem bothered by me accidentally bumping you, so I figured you wouldn't mind me sitting here to eat in peace," I said. He scoffed before finally peeking over at me. I couldn't see much of his face from the shadow being cast from his hood. I could only see the silhouette of his face. A tussle of brown hair peeked from under the hood. Slightly sunken eyes but one looked slightly swollen. High cheekbones, a slightly crooked nose, full lips with a cut near the corner towards me, and a chiseled jawline.

"So why didn't you just go eat in the cafeteria like everyone else?" He asked.

"I'm the new kid. It's my first day and I didn't want to do the whole awkward 'where do I sit' thing. I hate crowds. I don't do well with people to start with. What's your excuse?" I asked. He sighed and took his hand out of his pocket before pushing his hood off. Looking at me, I could see his face clearly. He was actually quite good looking, but like I suspected earlier, his eyes was slightly swollen and looked like it was healing from a punch and his lip was cut as well. He had cauliflower ear forming on one side as well.

"I can't very well walk around like this, can I?" He asked rhetorically.