Chapter 33

We finally made it to the AirBnB. After saying goodbye to my dad and Mia, we packed River's thinks and a small suitcase for me and got on the road. It took two days of driving and a lot of switching back and forth but we finally made it. We stopped in San Diego first. River apparently had a whole itinerary of things for us to do that he wouldn't show me. We dropped our things off at the house before changing into something more suitable for the weather. I changed into a bikini with a pair of shorts and a tank top on over it while River changed into swim trunks and a tee shirt. I grabbed a backpack that we put the important stuff in before I followed River back out.

"Where are we even going?" I asked.

"Well, we've been on the road this whole time. I figured a relaxing evening at the beach would be just enough for today," River explained. We went to the closest beach and just sat out on towels to watch the sun set over the ocean. It was serene. After grabbing a bite to eat, we went back to the house to shower and get ready for bed. The accommodations for the house were really nice. It was a simple two bedroom house with a full kitchen, smart TV, jacuzzi tub, and even a fire it in the backyard. And we had the whole house to ourselves. I stood in the master bedroom with the towel wrapped around my body as I looked through my bag for my pajamas. My damp hair clung to my shoulders as I held the towel up in the front while simultaneously trying to search with my other hand. River had already taken his shower. He was sitting on the bed in his pajama pants waiting on me.suddenly, I felt arms wrapped around me from behind.

"Riv, stop, I'm trying to find my pajamas," I muttered.

"Lu... I'm going to miss holding you like this," River said sullenly. I froze. His words caught me off guard. River was the one who had been trying to cheer me up the whole time. It was weird to hear him sound sad for once. I turned in his arms and caught a look at his face. I guess actually being in California made it all more real for him. He looked sad and regretful. I brought my hand up to touch his cheek gently as his arms tightened slightly around my waist as he leaned into my hand. My other hand went to his chest.

"Riv, you can't make me miss you before I've even left," I relied. He brought his lips down to enclose on mine in a gentle kiss. My lips moved with his as my hands slid around his neck. Before I knew it, my back was pressed against the bed as River hovered over me. The loose towel was removed from around me before River's clothes were removed as well. This wasn't our first time doing the Devil's tango, but it felt a little sad in a way. It would be one of our last times for a while. It was a goodbye in a way.

I laid with the blanket pathetically trying to cover my body and I watched River's peaceful face. My hand came up to touch his cheek gently. He sighed and closed his eyes briefly.

"Lu... I don't want to leave you either. You know that right?" He said softly. I inched forward and kissed him gently.

"Mel helped me realize something during the graduation party. It's only a small chunk out of our lives in the grand scheme of things, and it won't be forever. I'll still be able to text and call you almost every day, and we still get breaks and holidays to see each other," I tried to reason. River chuckled before wrapping his arms around me.

"When did we switch from me being the crybaby and you doing the coaxing?" River joked. I smiled lightly before resting my head against his chest.

"I won't be able to help with your book anymore," River said regretfully.

"I already finished it, but I stopped caring about the book a long time ago," I sighed as I sat up slightly to look at him. He moved my hair behind my ear gently before sighing.

"The book is what started this all, but if I'm being honest, it was just an excuse," he admitted. I smiled lightly before kissing him gently.

"I figured that out a long time ago. You were way too into it," I chuckled. He pulled me into another kiss before smiling lazily at me.

"Was I that obvious?" He asked. I nodded before laying back down.

"Very. You jumped right into it. I expected you to have some reservations or rules or something, but you pushed me on to the floor within seconds of agreeing to act with me. And you enjoyed it way too much," I explained.

"What I don't get was why. Compared to other options you could've chosen, I'm pretty plain compared to other girls. I'm not overly pretty, or smart, or friendly. Why did you like me?" I asked. River wrapped his arms around me again as we got comfortable.

"Because you were real. The other girls... they were all vying for the popular student body president with the perfect grades and the perfect constructed life. You caught me post fight. You argued with me, and tended to me. You offered me a hand when everyone else was too afraid to approach me. You said what you felt and didn't mind your words to try and get on my good side. You were one hundred percent yourself, and I fell in love with you for that," he answered. I sat up and pretended to be offended.

"You could've at least lied and said I was pretty," I joked. He chuckled before flipping me on to my back to hover over me.

"To me, you are the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on," he smiled before bringing his lips to mine. My arms wrapped around his neck as I prompted round two.