Chapter 21

I poured myself a glass of water as soon as I got home. I was parched and just overall a little shaken. What River did was such a 'boss CEO' move, and I wasn't prepared for it.

"Lu," he said softly. Mia was already working on her schoolwork in the living room. River followed me into the kitchen quietly. I sighed as I set down the glass on the counter. I finally turned to face him. I was still confused.

"Riv, you..." I was still at a loss for words. He smiled lightly before coming closer and wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Are you mad at me?" He asked. I took a breath as my hands went to his chest.

"I don't know how I feel right now. All I know is that our little bubble just popped," I answered.

"I couldn't just stand there and watch them shove you. I may be good at putting on a face, but I almost couldn't hold back when I saw that. Be happy that's all I said," he admitted.

"You mean to tell me that you can't control yourself when it comes to me? I don't believe you for a second," I scoffed as my hands fell away from him. His grip around my waist tightened as me made me look at him. His face was serious. He wasn't playing around this time.

"You think I'm kidding?" He asked. I could tell from his eyes that he wasn't.

"River, I only went over there today because you looked frustrated," I admitted. He smirked and nodded.

"I was irritated because I was trying to leave so I could get to you, but I was being hounded," he confirmed.

"And now everyone thinks I'm your girlfriend," I added.

"You are my girlfriend," he corrected.

"We're putting titles on it now?" I asked as my hands went back to Rivers chest. He sighed before placing a gentle kiss on my head.

"There was always a title. We just never said it out loud," he retorted.

"Until you suddenly decided to say it in front of everyone today," I reminded him. He only shrugged.

"So I snapped," he tried to brush it off. I hit his chest gently before pushing him off of me.

"What a time to snap," I muttered before getting ingredients out for dinner. I stopped before turning back to River.

"You want to just order takeout?" I asked. River shrugged. I pulled out my phone and ordered from a delivery app before going back to the living room with Mia. I tried to just relax and forget about what happened at school, but it was low key giving me anxiety.

The next day at school, things were definitely different. Like always, River and I got the school carpooling together, but this time, it seemed like everyone noticed for the first time. I was uncomfortable with everyone's eyes on me, but River took my hand in his and proudly walked me into the school. He walked me to my locker and stood beside me as I changed out my books. Aiden watched us curiously.

"You finally admit that you two are dating?" Aiden asked. River as he crossed his arms.

"I never denied it. You were just being too nosy," River retorted.

"Riv, I'm fine. You go do what you need to do," I said quickly as I pushed my glasses up on my nose a bit. I finally got too lazy and went back to wearing my glasses today of all days.

"I'm just surprised. This is the first time you've stood up for someone despite your groupies," Aiden picked at River.

"Aiden, don't stir the pot," I warned him. River put his attention back on me as he smiled softly. He pinched my cheeks gently.

"I'll see you at lunch," he said before he left. I watched him leave before turning to glare at Aiden.

"Why are you always trying to pick a fight with him?" I asked.

"I just want to make sure he's sincere towards you. Have you seen how he struts around school? It's fake as fuck. I've known River long enough to know that he only cares about himself. I just don't want to see you get hurt," Aiden explained. I took a breath as I tried to calm down.

"You think I don't know that the way he acts at school is fake? I've known since day one, but I also know the why behind it. River has his reasons. It's not up to you to play judge and jury on who he is. I'm the one in a relationship with him. I can judge him for myself. I don't need your help," I said quietly before going to my class. Melanie was practically bouncing in her seat when she saw me. She was grinning from ear to ear as she held on to my arm as I sat.

"I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!" She whispered.

"Knew what, Mel?" I asked as I set my bag down.

"You and River,"she said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. I caught myself rolling my eyes.

"Didn't you all know it?" I asked, referring to her, Aiden and Trevor.

"Well, duh, but you wouldn't admit it. I don't care. Trevor has a football game this Friday and you're going with me,"she said matter-o-factly.

"Why must you always put me in a crowd of people?" I whined.

"Because you obviously lack the social graces of being the student body president's girlfriend and you need more practice," she retorted before sticking her tongue out at me.

"I'm not the 'student body president's girlfriend'. I'm just... River's girlfriend, Lucky. I don't need to have those so called social graces. Nothing changes," I tried explaining. Melanie wasn't buying it.

"You're kidding me, right? Now that people know, people will approach you. Like it or not, people are going to try to talk to you now. Some will genuinely want to get to know you while others will be fake as fuck or try to drive a wedge between you and River," Melanie explained.

"Aiden's already trying that," I muttered.

"You're so innocent, that you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Don't worry, I'll weed them out for you, and I'm sure River won't let anyone hurt you either," Melanie assured me. I felt anything but reassured.