Chapter 9

When Monday rolled around, my dad was back, but passed out in his room from the weekend he had while I was getting ready for school. By the time I made it downstairs to make breakfast, there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see Mia hop in with River walking in behind her.

"Lulu!" She said as she held her arms out to me. I smiled and picked her up.

"Mia," I responded.

"Lulu?" He asked as he raised an eyebrow at me.

"It's what my dad calls me," I answered. As cute as Mia was, her slightly curly brown hair was everywhere. At best, it was at least brushed. I glanced at River and sighed before taking her up to my room. River followed confused.

"Mia, you want me to do your hair?" I asked. She nodded excitedly. I sat her down at my vanity and brushed her hair before braiding a piece on the side of her head before putting all of her hair into a ponytail. It was quick, easy and she looked adorable.

"I love it!" She said excitedly as she looked at herself in the mirror. I smiled and put the ponytail over her shoulder.

"From now on, I'll do your hair for school. Your brother sucks at it," I smiled at her. River scoffed as he rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. I turned and stuck my tongue out at him before taking Mia's hand and leading her past River and back downstairs. I made a quick breakfast and we ate before we got in the car. River and I dropped Mia off at school before we went to the high school. I found a parking spot far enough away from the building where we wouldn't draw too much attention. River sighed as he pulled the hood of his hoodie over his head. The swelling had gone down a lot under my care, but it was still obvious that he fought. He pulled a textbook out of his bag and opened it. I almost forgot about the scholar student disguise.

"Do you actually read the book?" I asked. He smirked and didn't answer before getting out of the car. Of course. I don't know what I expected. I grabbed my bag before going into the school. At my locker, Aiden looked like he was waiting for me. He looked at me worried when I finally got to my locker.

"Lucky, are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine, why?" I asked as I opened my locker.

"You cancelled our breakfast plans. I thought something happened," he explained. Understatement of the century.

"Something happened, but it's nothing really. My baby sister... I had to babysit. My dad went out of town. I couldn't leave her alone," I lied with the first thing to pop into my head. My baby sister? I had no idea where that came from.

"Oh, I wish I knew. You could've brought her with you," he said sweetly. I was digging a deeper and deeper hole and I knew it, but I couldn't stop now.

"She was sick, and I had to take care of her," I lied further.

"Well maybe next time," he smiled hopefully. I didn't think it would be any time soon. I was up to my neck with River's situation as it was already. My other archetypes would just have to wait. Before I could even finish switching out my books, archetype number three made an entrance.

"Lucky, hey. I tried texting you, but you never gave me an answer on the glasses. If you're not busy today, I'll take you to go look at glasses," Trevor said. I wanted to bury my head in the locker at having to lie again so soon. Aiden hadn't even left yet.

"It's okay. I've been wearing my contacts so it's not super important to get done right away. Plus, I have to watch my little sister again tonight," I gave the excuse. It was weird. I had Aiden on my left, and Trevor on my right. Meanwhile, River's shadowy, hooded figure with his head stuck in his book passed right by us. I never had this much attention on me in my old school, especially from guys. I felt like I was drowning, but I could only blame myself. Trevor and Aiden glanced at each other for the first time.

"Aiden," Aiden took initiative holding a hand out towards Trevor.

"Trevor," he followed suit as he shook his hand.

"Friends with Lucky Lu here?" Aiden asked. Trevor shrugged.

"Accidentally broke her glasses, but she's a hard one to make friends with. Always busy," Trevor joked.

"That's for sure," Aiden chuckled.

"I'm right here," I said as I closed my locker. Aiden chuckled and pet my head. To be fair, he did tower over me. In fact, they all did.

"Well hey, Trevor, when you finally drag her out to go shopping, invite me too. This one is hard to get a hold of," Aiden joked. Trevor laughed.

"Yeah, let me give you my number," he agreed. It was weird. The two were fast friends from two completely different walks of life and I was the connecting force.

"I've got to get to class," I muttered before going to my class. Just when I thought I would have a moment of peace, I forgot about Melanie. At least this one wouldn't be vying for my attention and draining my social battery.

"Hey Mel," I greeted her before sitting down with a sigh. I leaned my head back in the chair with a groan.

"Boys," I muttered to myself. Melanie chuckled as she turned to face me.

"What happened to you?" She asked.

"It's just-" I stopped myself from telling her about River and Mia. "Aiden and Trevor ganged up on me to force me to hang out," I said instead. Melanie only chuckled.

"And that's a bad thing? I didn't even know Aiden talked to people, and Trevor is like... the untouchable stereotype. Next you're going to tell me you're also hanging out with River," Melanie joked. If only she knew. Luckily, class started before I had to respond.