Chapter 31

Prom.

Where did the time go? A fairytale night for all seniors. A night to remember. A final formal event with all the classmates we've accumulated over the last four years, but for me, it was an awkward event where I had to dress up like someone I wasn't and stuff into a hotel ballroom with people I'd known for less than a year. The only upside was getting to see River in a full tuxedo. The cuts from his last fight had healed by now and he was the flawless student body president he always was. I'd randomly chosen a blue strapless ball gown with sequins that Melanie chose for me when we went dress shopping. Melanie made a whole day out of it. The day of, she dragged me with her to go get my hair and makeup done at a salon. She even made me wear my contacts. Looking at myself in the mirror, I didn't like like myself at all. I looked like a Bratz doll. The worst part was the three inch heels Melanie made me wear. She insisted that they were a must. Still, River's reaction to me was nice to see. He paused as his eyes widened, taking in every detail.

"You look... stunning, Lu," he stated.

"Thank you," I smiled lightly.

"You look just like your mother," my dad smiled sadly from off to the side. He proceeded to take pictures of River and I before Mia joined in on the pictures too. We all took a few pictures with the four of us before we got in the car to go to the hotel. The ballroom was decorated in all blue. Our Prom theme was supposed to be 'Under the Sea', as corny as it was. River and I went straight for the refreshments table and got something to drink before finishing Melanie, Trevor, and Aiden at a table off to the side.

"Hey, you guys made it!" Melanie smiled at us as she held Trevor's hand in hers. Aiden smiled at me a little wistfully.

"You look beautiful, Lucky," he said softly.

"Thank you," I replied. River's hand held my waist possessively as his other hand sat in his pocket.

"Are you ever going to stop hitting on my girlfriend, Aiden?" River said only half joking.

"Everything goes right over her head anyway. She only has eyes for you. Maybe I'll finally get my chance when you leave for college," Aiden teased back. River's jaw tightened. I put a hand on River's chest gently and turned my attention to him despite the hollow feeling in my chest at the thought of him leaving.

"Let's go dance," I suggested. He nodded before taking my hand in his and leading me to the dance floor. I shot Aiden a look before we were fully out of sight. As we made it to the floor, the song changed to a slow one. River's arms wrapped around my waist as he pulled closer. My arms went around his neck as I let out a sigh.

"You're thinking about California again, aren't you?" River asked knowingly. He was right, of course, but I was trying to act like it didn't effect me. I didn't say anything.

"We don't don't keep anything from each other, Lu. I want to know what you're thinking," he pleaded.

"I don't want to be alone again, Riv. I don't want to be away from you. It scares me thinking about the next four years without you. Just the thought makes me want to break down, and I-"

"It's time to announce this year's Prom King and Queen!" The announcer said, interrupting the music. I took a breath and let go of River as everyone turned to face the stage. River took my hand in his to catch my attention.

"Wait, Lu-"

"And your Class of 2019 Prom King is... no surprise here: River North!" They announced. Everyone cheered and a spotlight found him in the crowd. He hesitated before people started pushing him towards the stage. He looked back to me longingly as he was pushed onto the stage. A crown was placed onto his head as a 'prom king' sash was placed on him. The microphone was placed in his hand.

"It's an honor to be your Class of 2019 prom king as well as your Student Body President. Thank you all, for nominating me," he said politely even though his eyes never left mine. Everyone cheered for him as he handed the microphone back. I clapped out of obligation for my boyfriend, but I felt irritated that out conversation got interrupted.

"And your Class of 2019 Prom Queen is... Lucky Lee!" The announcer continued. I was shocked, surprised, and in denial. There was no way. Now I was being pushed towards the stage. I felt tears forming in my eyes, but it wasn't because of Prom Queen. My unfinished conversation with River was still heavy on on my mind. A sash was put on me and a tiara but my mind was preoccupied. I didn't even know what to do with the microphone in my hand. I glanced at River before taking a breath and trying to take a page out of River's book.

"It's an honor to be your Prom Queen alongside River for the Class of 2019. Thank you," I said in a shaky breath before handing the microphone off.

"And now for the King and Queen dance,"the girl announced. River took my hand before leading me to the middle of the dance floor. By the time we got to the dance floor, my tears were already flowing. River wiped them away gently before pulling me into him.

"Lu, don't cry," River said softly. I took a shaky breath as I buried my face into his chest.

"I don't want you to go to California," I cried. He sighed as we swayed to the stupid song that was playing for the sake of the stupid king and Queen dance. After the song was over, I separated myself from him and went outside for some fresh air. I held on to the railing of the balcony and took a breath. I was a hot mess and I knew it, but weeks of holding it in had taken a toll on me. River was quick to follow me.

"Lu, I don't have to leave yet. I know... the separation is putting a strain on you, but it's not like I'm trying to leave you on purpose. It's not like I want to leave you either," he said before wrapping his arms around me from behind. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly.

"My dad left me to raise myself practically my whole life. I didn't even realize how alone I felt until you bulldozed into my life, and now... now after I'm used used to you being around all the time, you're leaving for years," I tried to explain. He adjusted his arms slightly and sighed.

"It's unavoidable, Lu," he said softly. I felt another tear leak out of my eye as I leaned back against his chest. I knew he was right, but I still hated it.