Chapter 35

River was right. Four years passed in a blur. Once college started and I was busy with classes and my sorority, I kept busy. Football games, baseball games, hockey games, night out on Broadway, I became someone completely unlike myself just to purposely stay busy to keep myself from missing River too much.

I was antsy. After four long years, minimal face to face time over holidays and breaks, lots of texting and FaceTime, River was finally coming back home. He finally graduated with his masters in pre-med and he was coming home. His career path meant he wasn't don't with school because of residency or more school or whatever he was going to do but I didn't care because he didn't need to be in California anymore. I would've gone to Berkeley to watch him walk the stage myself then road tripped back with him but I was graduating with my masters the exact same week so I didn't have time to go all the way out there. After Mel and I walked the stage, there was a huge celebration. I secured a job pretty quickly at Mia's elementary school as a teacher. Mia was going on ten years old now and she would be going into the third grade. I was going in as a third grade teacher. Melanie was actually going to be Mia's teacher the upcoming school year.

I paced in the living room as I waited. It had been two days since River got on the road. He should've been back any minute. Mia laughed as she watched me from the couch.

"You were always like this when it came to my brother if I think about it," she noted.

"It's not nice to make fun of adults," I muttered in passing. At 22 years old, I still acted the same as I did four years ago when it came to River.

"You act like you don't call him literally every night," Mia reminded me.

"This is different. Riv is coming home to stay this time. Do you even remember what it was like living with your brother?" I tried to remind her. Mia sighed as she twirled a strand of hair between her fingers.

"I remember that he used to get hurt all the time before you came along, then, not so much. It was better after we moved in with you and Papa Lee," she recalled. I could tell it was a vague memory for her but I still remembered it like it was yesterday.

"Wait River used to get hurt a lot?" Melanie asked. Being my closest classmate and friend from senior year and all throughout college, Melanie also came over to support me on River's return. I almost forgot that she was still in the dark about the true River during high school. The underground fighting. I was so happy he didn't do that anymore. I was happy that he got to go to Berkeley and study what he wanted, but more importantly, I was happy he was finally coming back home. I literally couldn't sit still. I wanted him back.

At Vanderbilt, I became River. I took a page out of his book and became the popular person everyone wanted to be friends with. I even got asked out a lot, but I always turned them down using River as my honest excuse. I even got some college material to use for books and managed to get an e-reading publishing deal for five of my books. I was becoming a modern day version of my dad. I had become quite the author. And no matter how many books I wrote, none of it compared to the actual real life experience I shared with River. Even though I made lots of friends in college, they weren't all true friends like Melanie and River were in high school. On top of being the love of my life, River was my best friend, he was the one I told everything to, even when he lived so far from me. I turned my attention to the door when I heard a car pull into the driveway.

"He's here," I said out loud. Mia sighed before standing as Melanie only chuckled. I rushed to the door and threw it open before seeing the familiar car parked in the driveway. River was just stepping out. He liked exactly the same. He was taller than I remembered, clean shaven, hair slicked back, and just an overall professional aura about him. I ran out to him and jumped on him, wrapping my arms and legs around him, before I could think too much about it. He held me easily as his arms around my waist as he chuckled. After I finally calmed down, I wrapped my legs and River placed me back on the ground. I pulled him into a passionate kiss as his arms wrapped around me firmly. I could tell that he missed me almost as much as I missed him.

"Finally, you're back. Any longer and Lulu would've torn up the carpet," Mia joked as she came outside. I broke our kiss to smile at River as he chuckled.

"I'm home for good this time," he promised. He hugged Mia next before we went inside for I'm to greet my dad. I followed River around like a shadow. I didn't want to leave his side for the time being. River chuckled when he finally noticed.

"Are you going to follow me to the bathroom too?" He joked as he poured himself a glass of water in the kitchen. We were all in the kitchen as my dad, Melanie, and Mia ate slices of pizza we'd ordered earlier.

"I just want to keep looking at you for now, to make sure that you're real," I said wistfully as I leaned against the counter. River reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box before opening it to show me a pricey-looking engagement ring.

"Well, I think you need to put this on first in order to stay by my side for the long haul," he smiled lightly, turning his full attention to me.

"Aw," my dad cooed from his seat.

"Smooth, River," Melanie said as she watched from the table. I smiled as River slide the ring on to my left ring finger. He held my hand in his before kissing it gently. I couldn't even get any words out, but I didn't have to. I was over the moon to have him back and I would gladly marry River.

"But Lulu didn't say yes yet," Mia said, confused.

"Look at her face. One word out of her mouth and she'll start crying, but it's obvious she's saying yes. She won't leave his side," my dad analyzed.

"You're right. If he has to leave again, you can expect her to go with him. I do not want to babysit Lucky in mourning again. That was a nightmare," Melanie pretended to cringe. I didn't care about their side conversation at all. I could care less that they were making fun of me right now. River was back. He was here in front of me, and I was going to get to marry the man I loved. My family was all here with me.

I had a best friend in my lover. I had Melanie who was true to me. I had Mia who I adored, and even my dad was more involved in my life these days. I'd become an established author because of River, and gotten a job I loved straight out of college. I got to work with kids like Mia wile also sharing my love of creative writing with them. Even though I had to compromise for the last four years, I couldn't have asked for a better ending to a completely unplanned but whirlwind romance for own real life story.