Chapter 28

I let River hug me for a moment before pulling away. I still wasn't okay, but I needed the hug. I felt a little calmer but I couldn't say that we were flowery paths as of right now. The past few days definitely took a toll on me. Kata took a toll on me. Having River turned against me, even for a little while, did not feel good, and I never wanted it to happen again.

"Riv, you know we're still not okay right now, right?" I said as I watched his face. He sighed before holding my cheeks in his hands gently.

"I know that you're still mad at me, and I know that I have a lot of making up to do. I was wrong this time, I know that. I shouldn't have let her influence my relationship with you, and I'm truly sorry," he said.

"You got mad at me over recommendation letters we had already talked about. At some point, some part of you thought I was spoiled too. That was so wrong and unfair," I reminded him.

"How do you want to punish me?" River asked. I pulled his hands away from my face and put them back at his sides.

"Right now, I just need space from you. I'm so upset I don't know what to do with myself. You doubted me and let someone else come in to question me. I'm hurt right now," I answered truthfully.

"I hurt you," River said. I nodded.

"I promised to take Mia to the park," I muttered before going upstairs. I went to her room to find her playing on her tablet quietly. She looked up when I opened the door.

"Is that weird lady gone?" Mia asked. I smiled lightly as I nodded.

"The lady is gone, and she won't be back. Put your shoes on so we can go to the park," I changed the subject. Mia smiled and put her tablet down quickly before going to get her shoes. I grabbed a light jacket for both of us and put my own shoes on before taking Mia out. I watched her play at the park as I tried to calm down and think rationally about the Kata situation. I knew that Kata used the fact that River hung on her every word, but I was more upset at the fact that River didn't look at the situation logically. I was upset that it took him so long to finally take my side. I was upset that he blamed me first. I was upset that he let her in between us in the first place. I was mostly hurt that he just didn't trust me over her.

When Mia was done having her fun, I brought her back to the house and gave her bath before getting her ready for dinner. River had the table set by the time I brought her down to the kitchen. I set Mia at the table before taking a seat. River set the food on the table before we proceeded to have one of the most awkward dinners we'd ever had.

"What about Kata hurt you the most?" River asked finally.

"You didn't trust me at all," I answered as I finally looked at him. "Kata came and suddenly I was... I didn't matter," I explained. I was getting upset all over again. I took a breath and tried to hold my tears back but I was getting frustrated all over again. I set my fork down before leaving the table. I went up to my room and showered for the sake of something to do. I got into my pajamas before sitting on my bed. A light knock sounded on my door before River entered.

"I put Mia down for bed," he said before he came to sit next to me.

"Sleep in the guest room," I said before moving away from him. River pushed me on to my back on the bed as he held my wrists and hovered over me.

"You plan on ignoring me forever?" He asked softly. My eyes watered again against my will.

"You ignored me. Why can't I ignore you for a bit?" I asked.

"You're not that petty of a person, Lu. You never were," he reminded me.

"Do you hate me?" He asked. He was so close. I wanted to hate him just a little bit for what he put me through these last days, but my heart still fluttered.

"No," I answered honestly.

"Do you still love me?" He asked. I was still pinned against the bed, but I didn't try to fight him, and I didn't want to lie.

"Yes," I answered truthfully as a tear leaked out of one of my eyes. He smiled gently before bringing his lips to mine in a gentle kiss.

"I love you too, Lu," he said softly. He released his hold on my wrists and I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer. I missed him. I missed the authentic, real, rational him who was on my side no matter what. Our kiss became more passionate. I could feel River's apology in the kiss. Him willing me to feel how sorry he was for his screw up. I knew he was sorry, and I knew I was being petty at this point. If I were honest with myself, I'd forgiven him the first time he apologized, but I didn't want the incident to be brushed under the rug like it was nothing so I held on to it. I didn't want River to know I had forgiven him so quickly. I didn't want to believe I had forgiven him so quickly. I was telling myself that I wasn't a pushover, but I was just being petty. It didn't matter how long I made him wait before forgiving him, the fact of the matter was that he knew he was wrong. River pulled away slightly and looked at me. His lips were slightly swollen.

"Can I not sleep in the guest room tonight?" He asked. I smiled slightly as my hand touched his cheek. I nodded before bringing his lips back to mine in another kiss. If I were honest, I missed sleeping cuddled up in his arms.