Chapter 16

The three of them waited for us as River bought me a corn dog. I took a few bites as we walked a little further down. I offered River a bite which he gladly took. All of the sudden, Trevor froze as he faced a shooting game.

"They have a Bakugo pillow!" He exclaimed.

"My Hero Academia? I didn't know you were into anime, Trevor," I noted. He looked at us like he'd just been caught.

"I'm actually really into anime. I'm a total weeb. It's part of the reason I don't get along with the other jocks as well as you think I should," he finally admitted.

"There's nothing wrong with that. I think it's kind of awesome actually. Anime marathons are the best. I binged Demon Slayer a few weeks ago," I admitted with a giggle.

"Yeah, and then complained about being tired all weekend. I couldn't get that tube out of Mia's mouth for a week," River muttered. I bumped him with my hip.

"You wanted to binge watch Dance Moms. I think my show was a better choice," I reminded him.

"Have you seen the drama those mothers get into? Quality entertainment. The show is well worth it," he defended himself. We were bickering again. Melanie, Aiden, and Trevor stared at us like we grew an extra head.

"I don't think I've ever seen River bicker with anyone," Melanie said what the others were thinking. I only waved her off.

"We do this al the time," I said nonchalantly. "What's next?" I asked. We walked around for a few more minutes before I started getting tired. I pouted as I started dragging my feet.

"What are you doing?" River noticed almost immediately.

"Can we take a break and sit somewhere?" I asked. He sighed heavily before kneeling in front of me.

"Hop on," he offered. I smiled before hopping onto his back for a piggyback ride. He was so much taller than me that it it was like looking at the world from a different perspective up here. I was giddy. No one had ever given me a piggyback ride before. It was nice and comfortable. River's back was easy to hold on to.

"I'm doing all sorts of things," he muttered to himself.

"You're enjoying it too," I retorted.

"Am I?" He joked back, but I could tell he was having a good time. He wasn't normally this relaxed around other people. He wouldn't bicker with me in front of them if he wasn't relaxed. We watched Trevor and Aiden play a few games before stopping for cotton candy. I still refused to get off of River's back. Even to eat the cotton candy, I hung my arms over River shoulders as I pulled at the fluff and even reached around to feed some to him.

"How long do you plan on staying up there?" River asked. I smiled and took another mouthful of cotton candy.

"I'll get down when this is done. Want more?" I asked. He held his mouth open and I stuffed the rest of it in his mouth. He grunted as I laughed. He used his hand to take part of it from in front of his face. I hopped down and stepped away from him. He smirked before catching up with me and grabbing me around the waist. He pushed the cotton candy from his hand into my mouth as I laughed. I almost forgot that the others were there until I saw them staring at us.

"Are you two dating?" Melanie came right out and asked. River paused with his arms around my waist as he stood behind me.

"I've been wondering the same thing. You two have been touching each other all day. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if you two just started making out at this point," Aiden added.

"Oh?" River said in amusement. My eyes widened as I tried to undo his hands from around my waist.

"River, no," I said quickly.

"Wait, seriously?" Trevor asked in shock. I finally got River's hands loose as I took a few steps away from him.

"No, not really," I said, looking to Trevor. I felt a hand on my wrist before I was pulled into River's chest. His arms locked around my waist and he smiled smugly as he stared down at me.

"Riv," I said sternly with fear running through my mind. He chuckled before bopping my nose with his finger.

"Why would I give you three the honor of a front row seat? We practically live together. I wouldn't chose somewhere as public as a carnival to make out with Lu. Plus... she's shy," River said to the group as he stared at me. He smirked as he finally let go of me before taking my hand and walking past the three.

"But are you two dating, or...?" Aiden asked as they caught up to us.

"Why? So you can spread a rumor all around school? What happens between me and Lu is between me and Lu. You don't need to know the details," River said politically. Again, he should've ran for a government office. We did a few more things at the carnival before the sun went down. As the day ended, we said goodbye to everyone before hopping back in the car. I took a breath before starting the car as I looked to River.

"You scared the living shit out of me earlier. I thought you were actually going to kiss me," I admitted now that we were alone. He chuckled as he sat back in the passenger seat.

"I warned you it would be unscripted, but no, I wouldn't do it in front of those two boneheads. Aiden only said it to get an answer about the dating thing, for one, and two, I meant what I said. What happens between us is between us. It's really none of their business," he explained. I scoffed before rolling my eyes.

"You're starting to see them as real friends," I said.

"No I don't," he argued. I turned in my seat to face him.

"You're relaxed around me, but you don't relax around me if we're around people. Today, you were relaxed. You weren't as... politically correct as you normally are. Which means that you're starting to see Aiden, Trevor, and Mel as actual friends," I explained. He took a second to think before completely ignoring me to put his seatbelt on.

"Just drive," he muttered. I knew I won. I put my own seatbelt on before turning the car on and putting it in drive.