Chapter 8

When River finally woke up, I warmed his breakfast back up and had an ice pack ready to go. Mia was laying on the floor in front of the TV watching cartoons when River came into the kitchen. I set the plate on the counter as well as the ice pack. He glanced at it briefly before taking a seat and eating.

"Do you mind watching Mia this weekend?" He asked quietly.

"I don't mind watching Mia ever. She's a cute little girl. In fact, I was going to suggest her coming over after school for dinner. You too, if you want. My dad wouldn't mind. He's barely home anyway," I said. In truth, I'd been mulling over it all night; a way to keep River from getting hurt like this so often. I couldn't help him pay any bills or anything, but I could help with Mia.

"You're such a busybody," he muttered on reflex. I took the ice pack off the counter and walked around before shoving the pack into his ribs, but gently. He winced slightly.

"You should be used to it by now," I retorted before I went to the living room with Mia. When I sat on the couch, she turned and looked at me with a smile. Her green eyes were bright as she scrambled up to her feet and came to sit next to me.

"Lulu, I like this show," she said happily.

"Well, I talked with your brother and you can come straight here after school from now on and hang out with me. How does that sound?" I said with excitement for her sake. I know River hadn't technically agreed yet, but I couldn't sit back and watch this little girl be home by herself with not much food. Knowing that, I couldn't leave it alone. River was right, I was a busybody. This is exactly why I didn't bother trying to get to know people at my old school. Once I knew, I couldn't separate myself from it.

"Really?!" She asked excitedly. I nodded. She hugged me as I chuckled.

"You can come over any time you want," I assured her as I put a hand on her head. Her arms were still wrapped around my waist. River peeked his head into the living room and motioned to me. I sighed and smoothed Mia's hair back before smiling at her.

"I'll be right back," I said to her. I stood before going back to the kitchen. River was there in my dad's pajamas, holding the ice pack against his ribs.

"What?" I asked, completely ready to argue with him.

"Thanks... for Mia," he muttered.

"Just Mia? Not for dragging your almost unconscious body off the street and patching you up?" I asked as I moved to clear the plates off the counter.

"You just can't take the thank you?" He asked. I scoffed.

"Oh no, from you?" I joked. "Can you do me a favor? Fight less. Why not a regular job?" I asked.

"It's the fastest way to get the bills paid. I get a good chunk of the purse winnings whether I win or lose. It doesn't take too much time away from my studies. And it keeps the lights on," he explained.

"If I take care of the food, what else is there?" I asked.

"Luckily, I don't have to worry about rent or mortgage payments, but light, gas, and water bills are constant. This last fight was a $2,000 purse. It'll hold me over for a few months if I take out the grocery bill," he said.

"Then that's what we'll do. I'll worry about the food for you and Mia, and you just worry about the other bills. So you shouldn't need to fight for another few months. Which you'll need, if you want those ribs to heal properly. I already told Mia that she can come over whenever she wants," I said. Looking at his face, I felt bad again. It was still swollen. I sighed and averted my eyes before getting a soft gel ice pack out of the freezer and wrapping it with a towel. I stood in front of River and pressed it gently against his cheek and eye.

"What's with the Florence Nightingale act?" he asked. I smiled lightly.

"You noticed. I can't help it. I can't turn away from the injured. At my old school, I kept my head down and didn't interact with people because if someone was in trouble, I couldn't help but to help, so I just stayed out of it completely. But here... I don't know, I'm getting sucked in against my will. I wasn't going to pry, until I saw that bruise on your face," I answered. River sighed before his hand brushed mine briefly as he took the other pack from me and held it to his eye.

"Well... thanks," he said.

"Stay in here, or go do what you need to do. Don't let Mia see you like this. I'll take care of Mia. You should take the weekend and try to heal up. Come over if your hungry or need more ice," I said before turning back to head onto the living room.

"Wait, what about your dad?" He asked.

"Don't worry about him. He's off researching for his next book," I tossed over my shoulder. I went back to the living room and hung out with Mia. She was honestly the most adorable little girl. We played games and did crafts all weekend. Because of circumstance, I ended up swapping numbers with River. He would come by for meals and ice and that was about it. Planning out a little more, I agreed to take Mia to school and pick her up. River would also be carpooling with me to take Mia to and from school. Somehow, I ended up way more involved with River than I intended to be. My plan to get closer to Aiden was completely out the window. I guess my first archetype to study would be River. I was already this invested.