ten

WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING to Harry (Ron was beside Harry too but he seemed very reluctant to join him to talk to Cassie) – who from the looks of it had a million questions for Cassandra for she had been gone for over a week without even a word of goodbye – she darted back to the Gryffindor tower since Potions was the last class of the day. She ran up the stairway into her room as she heard Harry step in from the portrait, chasing her from the dungeons. Letting out a breath of relief, she collapsed on her bed out of exhaustion. Her robes crumbled under her tired body but Cassie didn't give a single thought to that. All she wanted was some peace. Unfortunately, that would always be the last thing she got.

Moments after closing her eyes, her dorm door swung open. Mentally groaning, Cassie sat up and looked at the intruder. Her eyes fell upon a dishevelled Hermione who seemed astonishingly furious.

"To speak, or not to speak, that is the question," Cassandra joked, attempting to make Hermione break into a grin but failing miserably.

"You are an absolute traitor!" she accused, pointing her finger at Cassie.

"So, this version of you knows," Cassie nodded to herself, understanding that Hermione knew her biggest secret.

"All this time, you've been close to Harry so that you could finally feed him to your father, didn't you?" she continued with her accusations, her eyes red, her hands in a fist.

Cassandra was rather taken aback by this. Never in her entire life had she expected Hermione Granger to say such a thing. For a brief second, she almost believed this wasn't her friend but someone else disguised in Polyjuice Potion.

"Hermione, do you hear yourself?" was all Cassie responded, struggling to maintain her composure.

"So, you aren't denying it!" Hermione scoffed.

"No, no I'm not denying the fact that Sirius Black is my father by blood but just because that is the truth, doesn't make me a mass murder as well. You, of all people, should know that. You are a witch despite your parents being muggles – the smartest witch in our year too! Just because Sirius is a mass murderer, doesn't make me one. And considering I take your absolutely rubbish conclusion as the truth – which it isn't by the way – being the most powerful witch of the world, don't you think I would have already killed Harry?" Cassie retorted, now standing up on her feet. Hermione went quiet for a few moments and then sat down, not uttering a word.

"Mi, I know you care about Harry. I do too. The last thing I want is Harry Potter to be killed," Cassie started, walking towards Hermione and taking a seat on her bed. "I love him with all my heart and he trusts me. That's the greatest thing I can ask anybody. And for your information, I'll repeat what I said to Professor Lupin once again. That mass murder is not my father. He never was and he never will be. I did not help him inside the castle and I will never, ever want to feed Harry to any of his enemies,"

"I'm sorry," mumbled Hermione, before pulling Cassie into a hug.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ⁅ - ෴ - ⁆ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

THAT NIGHT, CASSIE wasn't able to sleep. Everywhere she went, whispers followed; false accusations were thrown; rumours were spread and people swore foul words at her which made her simply want to crumble up and hide under the surface of the earth. Though Cassandra didn't know why it all affected her now. Despite having heard all these things all her life – most in the Ministry from adults – why in the name of Merlin was she being so affected by them now? These thoughts never kept Cassie awake all night, yet here she was, staring at the ceiling of her four-poster bed. Frustrated, she crawled out of bed and left the dorm to head to the empty common room.