sixty

"WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO TODAY, THEN?" Dean asked the Tykes when they had finished breakfast and were leaving the Great Hall.

"I fancy myself a walk along the Black Lake actually," Blaise responded, "Try and spot the squid,"

"It's a myth," Delilah laughed.

"Well I've got fifty galleons on the line till the end of our school years to prove otherwise, so yes, a walk along the Black Lake would be excellent, thank you very much," Blaise smirked, walking backwards to face the group before giving them a little salute and heading along his way. Delilah and Dean looked at Cassie expectantly, who simply shrugged and trailed behind Blaise who stopped at the courtyard entrance to see if they would join him.

"So cuz put his name in the goblet," Delilah spoke up as she walked beside Cassie, Dean and Blaise making conversation just ahead of them.

"So, I heard,"

"A sickle for your thoughts?"

"He's an absolute idiot,"

"I quite agree,"

"What is even luring these nincompoops in? Fame and eternal glory? It's not fun at all! It's traumatising, that's what it is," Cassie said in an exasperated tone.

"Speaking from experience?"

"Very much so," Cassie sighed, "But forget about me, just ask my cousin instead. Every passing individual staring at his forehead, whispering behind his back and for what? Because he didn't die as a baby,"

"Well, in our defence, he did survive a killing curse," the blonde reasoned.

"Fair enough, but that treatment still feels strange," Cassie replied, "And that's coming from someone experiencing it second-hand,"

"What about you? No one from our generation seems to really know what a big deal you are. Don't you have a chance to live a normal life?" Lily (as the rest of the group had now decided to call her), asked.

"True, but last year was hell," Cassie reminded, "Mass murderer's daughter and all,"

"Did he really do it? Kill Harry's parents?" she asked, giving the man the benefit of the doubt.

She still remembered how guilty her parents had felt when the news had come out. How they'd said he was supposed to be one of the good guys and how that's the only way they'd seen him. They'd been in sheer disbelief when the news of James and Lily's death had reached them. All the facts had checked out, and the story the media had printed made sense to any bystander but for anyone who really knew Sirius Black, this had been one hard pill to swallow.

"In a twisted way, he believes so," Cassie said truthfully, "If he hadn't made a few choices, this wouldn't have been the present we'd be living in, and that will always be one of his biggest regrets,"

"And what do you believe?"

"That the mass murderer is not my father. He never was and he never will be," Cassie smiled sadly, "It's a shame because otherwise, he would've been a really nice guy to have in your life,"

"You speak in puzzles, Black, I'll tell you that," Lily laughed.

"Regardless, I never lie. So my words can never haunt me," Cassie grinned back before signalling her into running past the boys and reaching the lake before any of them could.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ⁅ - ෴ - ⁆ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

AT THIS POINT OF THE DAY, THE TYKES HAD FOUND THEMSELVES lazing on the grass near a huge forestation of tall bushy trees that none of them had the brains to identify, close to the lake. Dean had got his guitar with him when they returned to the castle grounds for lunch and was plucking random songs (mostly muggle ones) which Cassie would hum to if she recognised any. Intermittently, they would comment on the shapes of the clouds but otherwise, their conversation mainly glossed over the Triwizard tournament.