twenty-two

"COME IN!" RESPONDED LUPIN to the knock on his door. He had been pacing around his office, the Marauders Map lying open on the table, wondering all possible ways Harry could have got it. After having racked enough of his brains, he decided to call Cassie and ask her if she knew about any of this. It was his last resort.

Lucky for him, Cassie obliged to show up – but she didn't know it was for non-academic purposes. Remus had sent Parvati to collect Cassie under the pretext of discussing the last essay submission.

"You called?" Cassie asked disinterestedly, walking in and shutting the door behind her. "Why do you have to discuss a werewolf essay with me? I have first-hand experience living with one for five years,"

"I didn't want to talk to you about the essay," Lupin said quickly, leaping to his desk and flopping the map in front of her face. "Looks familiar?"

"Where did you get it?" Cassie asked with a puzzled look.

"Snape," Remus said shortly, "He got it off of Harry!"

"Figured as much. And the Map must have said some ghastly things to Snape making him call you there to interrogate?" she guessed accurately.

"How did Harry have this?" Remus said after a moment of being taken aback at her correct conclusion.

"People gave it to him," Cassie shrugged, not wanting to throw Fred and George under the bus.

"Cassie, please don't play games with me," Remus begged, grabbing onto her hands, "I need you to tell me the truth. I already feel guilty enough for knowing your father is an Animagus and is roaming around freely in the guise of a dog and now the map that he made was found in the hands of the person he might want to kill!"

"He might want to kill?" Cassie repeated, steeping away from her godfather in astonishment. "Are you even listening to yourself?"

"Cassie, I know we have our differences right now, but please, just this one thing, I need you to tell me truthfully. I know for a fact you know how he came across it, you always do. Just please, tell me it isn't Sirius who gave it to him,"

"It wasn't Padfoot. It wasn't any of the marauders," she replied softly and curtly.

Remus let out a sigh of relief.

"Then how did he come by it?"

"Got it from the twins," she replies after much internal debate, "Please don't punish them for it," she added hastily.

"Oh no, not at all," Remus nodded sincerely, "although I must congratulate them someday from nicking it off of Filch," he chuckled.

"You're talking about the next generation marauders, Remus. Obviously, they are capable of such feats," Cassie smiled softly.

"So, Sirius didn't give it to him?"

"No,"

"Thank you, Cassie. I truly appreciate it," Remus said with a warm smile.

Cassie nodded in acknowledgement and then proceeded to leave the room. But as she reached the door, she turned to Remus and said,

"Now that you have your map, look out for unexpected names,"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ⁅ - ෴ - ⁆ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

GRANGER AND RON HAD reconciled, meaning Cassie's interaction with the group reduced – not because Hermione wouldn't talk to them, but because Cassie simply didn't want to be around someone who would taunt and accuse her of something ridiculous.