fifty-four

INSTEAD OF DINNER, CASSIE HEADED straight to the Headmaster's office. 

"Raspberry Jam," Cassie said hurriedly when asked for the password, the gargoyles moving aside to make way for the girl to head upstairs and question Albus Dumbledore. 

"ALBUS!" she yelled as soon as she entered the office. 

"As loud as always, Cassandra," Dumbledore said, calmly sipping his tea on the desk. Cassie slammed her bag on the chair beside her and stood in front of the desk with crossed arms. 

"I've survived the Killing Curse?" she asked, tapping her foot impatiently. 

"Sorry?" Albus asked, rather startled by this question. 

"You heard me the first time Albus,"

"There's only one person who's escaped the curse and that is your brother, Miss Black," Dumbledore stated the facts as he knew it, "What made you come to this conclusion?"

"Don't mess with me right now, Albus. Alastor Moody just told my whole class that I escaped the curse too," Cassie asserted, her wand now pulled out from her cloak, pointing at Dumbledore. 

"Put the wand down, Cassandra," Albus asked in a polite yet stern tone. 

"Tell me the truth," she said instead, her hand not budging from its place. 

"The scar, on your back," a voice said from the door. Cassie spun around, her wand now pointing at Mad-Eye Moody who had rushed to the office after sending off Neville. 

"The tiny bolt we'd seen and forgotten, Albus," he said to the headmaster, "That is the scar. The mark of the killing curse."

"When did you see my back?" Cassie expressed in disgust, turning back to look at Dumbledore. 

"When you were brought to me," Albus informed, "While Poppy was healing your wounds, she had called Minerva, Alastar and myself to examine a few of your scars. We didn't think much of the bolt then. It looked like a scratch at first, but I am to believe that Alaster cracked this case as of recently,"

Moody nodded hurriedly, still standing at the door. Cassie's hand slowly dropped down. Silence eloped the room. Fawkes flew towards Cassie, perching on her shoulder as the latter fed the phoenix a treat. 

"You said Madam Pomphret was healing my wounds," she recalled, sitting down on the seat in front of the desk, "What happened to me?"

"You were kidnapped," Dumbledore narrated, "Sirius and Julia left you in their safehouse before chasing down Peter Pettigrew. Your godfather, Remus Lupin was to travel through the floo network to your house and arrive in a minute after their departure, but when he reached the house, the place had been ransacked and you had been taken away. On your cradle was the sign of the dark mark. 

"You had been taken by the Death Eaters. 

"When I told your mother you were gone, I really did mean it. It was only after a month of her leaving the continent that Alastar found you and brought you back to us. All of us had assumed we'd lost you. Alaster found you wounded, bleeding, malnourished and abandoned. According to Poppy, you hadn't been fed for weeks. It was a miracle that you were still alive,"

"And still you decided to make me a part of project 3107?" Cassie scoffed. 

"You were powerful, we knew that from the moment you were born. You've heard all your prophecies, you know all too well what you are destined for," he reminded.

"You're right, you're right," Cassie sighed, standing up and lightly shaking her shoulder as a sign for Fawkes to wake up and fly away, "I need to fulfil my purpose,"