seventeen

SURPRISINGLY, REMUS ALLOWED Cassie to go meet Harry so she hurriedly changed out of her pyjamas and darted happily to the common room.

"Scurvy cur," she uttered the password and ran through the hole as soon as the door opened.

Harry had been walking down to the common room with his newly gifted Firebolt along with Ron, but on seeing Cassie, he stuffed the broom into Ron's graciously accepting hands and eloped Cassie into a bear hug.

"Happy Christmas!" Cassie smiled, pulling away after Harry spun her around. "You seem extremely happy today?"

"Harry got a Firebolt," Ron said, beating Harry to the good news.

"WHAT?!" Cassie exclaimed in glee, running to the shiny new broom and tracing her finger on its handle. It was simply beautiful. Not that Cassie was a quidditch player (she never believed in the joys of flying like Harry and Fred) but she knew her good share of information about brooms and the game rules.

"Who gifted it to you?" she asked, still busy admiring the broom.

"No clue! There wasn't any note or card," Harry shrugged nonchalantly. He hadn't seemed to care much about the sender but Cassie immediately knew who it was. And to confirm her suspicions, Professor McGonagall and Hermione strode into the common room.

"Ah, Miss Black, I was expecting you to be here," she remarked on noticing the girl sitting on the sofa near the fireplace.

"You were?" Cassie and Harry said in sync.

"Indeed," she confirmed and then looked at Hermione who looked a little too eager about something.

"Miss Granger and Professor Lupin both informed me that the two of you have received Christmas gifts from anonymous senders," she began, and Cassie mentally groaned for giving the snow globe to Remus.

"You too?" Harry asked inquisitively.

Cassie nodded as a response.

"A broom to Harry and a snow globe to Cassandra," she elaborated.

"If this is what I think it is, that globe is a family thing. I could have simply sent by my mother to be sent on my thirteenth Christmas or something," Cassie immediately said.

"May I?" McGonagall asked Harry for his broom, blissfully ignoring Cassie's last statement. After examining the broom, she once again asked Harry if he had received any sort of note on the gift.

"No," Harry replied blankly.

"Well, I'm afraid I'll have to take this then," she said, with a little frown. "And this too," she added, pulling out the snow globe from her robes.

"W-what?" Harry said scrambling to his feet along with Cassie.

"Why?" Cassie continued his question for him.

"They both need to be checked for jinxes," she explained.

"The broom I can understand but what's wrong with the snow globe! It's a snow globe for Merlin's sake! No one is harmed by a snow globe!" Cassie exclaimed; the anger evidently heard in her voice.

"Tracking," said Professor McGonagall, and that seemed to shut Cassie up (who looked extremely infuriated).

"Of course, I'm no expert, but I daresay Madam Hooch and Professor Flitwick will strip these down,"

"Strip them down?" Ron, Harry and Cassie asked incredulously. Before McGonagall could continue her explanation, Cassie stormed out of the room, having heard enough.