~Chapter IX~

~Phoenix~

THE HEADMASTER SUMMONED US.

As I approached the office doors leading to Ridley's father I knew something was up. There was no reason that came to mind for Mr. Sweet to have called the entire student council here. Unless the news cast outside somehow snuck onto campus, but that was doubtable since the man hired more security after parents threatened not to fund the academy and pull out their students because of the recent events that took place last year.

We were under attack more than ever right now.

"Nix." I spotted Hansel seated with Kieran at the front of the Headmaster's door.

"Your grandmother finally let you come back?" I said, joining them as aggressive tones echoed past the wooded entrance.

Hansel groaned. "Don't even get me started."

"Your grandmother is not the only one worried. Many parents have already withdrawn a few of the students over the summer. We are down at least a hundred," added Kieran.

"I don't blame them," said Hansel, running a hand over invisible strands that used to be atop his head. Now all that was left was a neat Buzz Cut. "Last year was one of the worst times for us. I managed to talk Nana out of homeschooling me only because I promised to wear a tracker, and that is putting it lightly."

I gaped at him. "She put a tracker on you?"

He rubbed the base of his neck. "Not on me, per se. More like under my skin."

"I suppose her motives are justified," said Kieran. "Not in the collective manner I would have anticipated, but rather a more desperate take to the situation Monster created." He faced Hansel with a solemn look in his eyes. "Do not forget. You are the last remaining heir to your grandmother's fortune. She would be devastated if something happened to you."

"I haven't forgotten," Hansel said, contritely. "Why do you think I agreed to the fucking tracker? I may not like having this shit in me, but I love my Nana. I'd do anything to appease her."

"You won't have to appease her for much long," I said, swinging my blade between both hands. "I hacked into the NSA's security last night- undetected. The perks of being skilled as a Hatter. I should get warning if Monster or Detective Stine shows up on the scanners I have set up with facial recognition."

Hansel smirked at me. "You fucking genius."

Well, I was my father's son.

The door we waited several minutes in front of finally swung open and revealed Ridley's father.

"Boys." He pulled the door further ajar. "Come in."

One by one we filled the large office.

As the headmaster took a seat at his throne I halted my stride as a familiar raven haired boy sat in a chair across his desk. My blockade caused my brothers to collide into my back, craning their necks on either side of me to observe the subject of my abrupt attention. His back was to us, but we knew without a doubt who was before us.

We'd been expecting him.

"Have a seat, boys."