~Chapter III~

~Madelyn~

FRESHLY SHOWERED AND CLEAN I dressed in a pair of loose sweats and fitted tank before heading back up to the attic. Once inside I started for my bed, but halted when I noticed a shaded figure occupying the edge, gazing down at the sheets.

Everything in me came alive with alarm.

Looking over to the kitchen I cautiously inched towards the rack of knives on the island counter, at the same time tracking the form with his back to me.

"There's no need for violence, Poe." All the tension left my body at the familiar sound of his voice.

I let out a breath of relief. "Kieran. Why didn't you speak up earlier?"

He stepped into the light. His attire was still the same, but the jacket and tie were gone. His hair was ruffled as if he had continously swept fingers through the untamed strands. The buttons on his shirt were undone in such a haste I came to the conclusion he must have gotten into an arguement with Ridley after we came back to the campus, which explained his unkempt appearance.

When he didn't answer, I asked, "What are you doing here, Kieran? You look wild."

He slumped down on the edge of my bed, elbows arranged on top of his knees.

"Let me sleep with you tonight," he said, a sense of desperation on the edge of his tongue.

"If you want sex this is not the night to ask-"

"Don't be daft, Poe." He looked up at me, eyes dark and vulnerable. "If I wanted sex we would not be talking right now. I simply want to sleep. Actual sleep where sexual desires are not implicated and we embrace each other with the adoration of two lovers."

My brows went skyward at his forwardness. "You sound so sure that I will let you touch me."

Kieran grabbed my hips, reeled me between his long legs. The wide space lessened more and more as I stood before him, trapped by the power of his thick thighs and big hands. His touch sent flames up my arms; tiny jitters sent flutters to my belly, and warmth throughout my libido.

"I am positive." He laid his forehead on my abdomen and stayed that way for several minutes to take comfort in me. "But that is not why I came. I promise lust is not on the agenda tonight."

"Is that all you came for?" I closed my eyes, sleep on the brink of consuming me.

Kieran nodded. "I want to sleep next to you. Hold you and never want to let go. Will you let me?"

"What?" I was stunned for a minute.

He lifted his head and stared into my eyes. "Let me sleep here tonight."

"What about the Hall Monitor? She might see you-"

"Already paid her off." He shrugged like bribery was a common occurrence for him.

I had no doubt it was. Too tired to argue I let him stay and crawled under the blankets. He stood up and removed the remainder of his clothes, stripping down to only his briefs. I tried my hardest not to be a total creeper and stole a few looks over my shoulder before turning away to turn out the lampshade on my bedside as he climbed in beside me.