~Chapter XII~

~Hansel~

"THERE WAS A TIME BEFORE OUR LOVE FOR CARNATION dwindled, that we faced an enemy the same as the one now. The first time we'd ever been tested and failed.

It was the beginning of our sixth term at Raven Oak Prep. A year the four of us wanted to discuss our relationship with Carnation away from Ridley. He was unaware at the time. So stuck to his choreographies that he barely had the luxury to spend a moment with us; even more so when his mother returned from a audition in London, for the lead role in the Broadway production of Wicked.

We were all on edge.

That year our parents came to visit us more frequently. Twice more than the previous years since we first enrolled at the academy. Their sudden interest in our lives made us question as to why? We learned quickly they were scouting wives for us."

"Wives?" Madelyn's face paled at this undiscovered truth.

I expected nothing less.

"You know our fathers work in alliance with each other, right?" She gave a nod. "Well, they also made a pact that their first born sons would marry together. Since we were children the idea of our betroths hung over our heads like a noose as we got older. It wasn't until we turned sixteen their intended search became obvious.

Carnation was unaware of it. We tried to keep it that way because we thought we could spare her until the others settled affairs with their parents, and convince them we wanted only one girl to be tied to. Kieran even went ahead as to select her a ring which was passed down from his great, great grandmother. Unfortunately, they didn't agree. And Carnation grew suspicious.

She lashed out.

We were a lot at fault for her behavior. Our arrogance made her unhinged I've come to realize."

I paused to run a anxious hand through my golden locks, pushing into my eyes. Talking about the past was always difficult for me. At times I hardly slept.

"We made sure to be careful around Ridley's sister. She was easily set off. Eventually, Ridley convinced us to tell her the truth of what kept us distant. We didn't spare her. Somehow," I huffed at the memory, recalling the expression on her beautiful face and feeling that familiar ache again at her response, "that didn't matter. Wives were inevitable, but for Cara marriage was not something she saw with us. It was like she didn't care. Like she hoped we would break up years of friendship, comfort, pain, love and just settle for the betroths our parents handpicked.

That's when our relationship started to fall apart.

Not long later, Nana asked me to meet with the daughter of a famous songwriter. She arranged a dinner date the day before the traditional FAMILY TEA celebration during spring. Parents and students were granted a weekend together, but ours never showed up. And never at the school. The only one who came was Morris. Regardless of what you may think about your father, he's a dedicated father.

He came to support the five of us every at all gatherings. Joined our table at every school function, because it was obvious our parents never would. Morris was good to us. From that day forth we spent a lot of time over at his estate. He was a lot like my Nana in that way, and our parents didn't mind so long as the five of us were together and occupied.

He supported us when we confessed about our relationship with his son and Carnation. Kieran's stepmother wasn't so forgiving. Phoenix's father, too. His mother on the other hand came around to the idea that his son was in love with someone as beautiful as Carnation. She accepted it. But unlike the others Nana's approval was the most important to us. She's very intuitive. As thirty three percent Native American her intuitions were never wrong, as she liked to called them. That's why I wasn't a surprised when she disliked all the girls we brought to parties. More importantly she didn't approve of our relationship with Cara."