Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"You know, if you would've actually allowed me to come on the mission, I could've helped you. And not kept any secrets from you." Rowan spoke, her arms crossed, annoyed as Steve let out a grumpy huff.

"Attitude, kid. If Fury didn't keep secrets from us than we wouldn't have had a problem." Steve spoke, anger and spite in his voice as he tapped his foot against the elevator floor, in annoyance. "There's another lesson for you, soldiers trust soldiers."

"You know, funny you say that. Last week, Nick pulled me over during training and told me..." Rowan paused for dramatic effect as the elevator came to stop, the doors opening as she continued in a dramatic and deep voice, imitating Fury. "Don't trust anyone except for Steve"

Steve stopped in the hallway looking down at Rowan, as she nodded as if to emphasize the weirdness of the situation. "He's got like some paranoia disorder or something though."

Steve let out an amused "hmph" as they made their way to the metal door with Nick Fury's name on it. "Stay out here and don't cause any trouble"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say." Rowan spoke, rolling her eyes while leaning against the silver wall, arms crossed as Steve made his way into Nicks office, to give him a peace of his mind or something.

Rowan was busy playing with the rings on her fingers, when somebody called her name. "Rowan!"

"Oh, hey Smalls. What's going on?" Rowan spoke, a smile on her face as the brunette approached her.

"Oh same old, same old. Surprised to see you without the Cap around." Smalls chuckled, raising an eyebrow as Rowan rolled her eyes.

"Meeting with the boss" Rowan spoke, nodding her head towards Nicks office.

"Of course, anyways, ummm" Rowans eyebrows scrunched up as she watched the man, look at the ground, playing with her fingers. "I was wondering if I could take you for coffee? Off base?"

Rowans eyebrows shot up as she swallowed, a date. Smalls was asking her on a date. She had never been on a date before. She had read about them, saw them on the Tv, but she had never been on one. "For coffee? Off base?"

"Yeah, coffee. Off base."

"I've never been off base for extra-curricular activities."

"I, don't think this really counts as an extra-curricular."

"I would really like to go out with you for coffee. Off base." Rowan spoke, a smile growing onto her face.

"Let's go, off base. Right now?" Smalls spoke, a large smile on his face as Rowans grew larger.

"Yeah, let's go!" Rowan spoke, excitement on her face. She looked down at her clothes, she wore her black shield suit, but he was also in his still. "Is this okay, to wear?"

"Umm, maybe we should wear something different to blend in? I'll meet you in the lobby?" Smalls spoke and Rowan nodded, the two quickly going their separate ways. Steve long forgotten.

Rowan quickly made her way to her metal box that she called a room, grabbing some black pants, a flannel, and her shield hat.

Rowan quickly found Smalls in the lobby, wearing a black dress shirt and jeans. Rowan felt awkward, she was obviously underdressed.

"Did you tell anyone, where you're going?" Smalls spoke, raising an eyebrow.

"No, they'll been fine without me for awhile!" Rowan spoke, a smirk on her face.

Rowan and Smalls hopped into a Taxi, heading into Washington, to Smalls favourite coffee shop, "Starbucks." Rowan had heard of it, thanks to the internet, but she had never been.

"My favourite is the iced Caramel Macchiato, you've got to try it!" Smalls spoke, a soft smile on his face.

"Okay, I'll get that as well." Rowan told the cashier, a smile on her face.

The cashier took the twos order, heading to the back, to give the rest of the workers, their order. Rowan looked up at Smalls, who's entire demeanour changed, going from excitement to fear? Rowan was confused.

"Get down" Rowan felt Smalls grab her arm, pulling her over the island, Smalls landing steadily on his knees on the other side as Rowan landed on her stomach with a grunt. "Sorry"

Gunshots filled the coffee shops, as did screaming and the sound of glass shattering. Rowan watched as Smalls pulled out a pistol, loading it with bullets as Rowan watched. "Shields been compromised"

Rowan threw her arm up in the air, letting out a blast of energy. Using the energy as a stun grenade, Rowans ears were ringing, but her eyes quickly adjusted to the brightness, grabbing Smalls bicep and dragging him into the back of the kitchen.

Smalls quickly followed behind Rowan as the two jumped over an island, Smalls and Rowan both peaking up and waiting for the enemy to enter the back area. "What the hell is going on?"

"Shield been compromised, Nick came to me, told me to get you out ASAP. Whoever it is, is after you and many other things. Either they want you dead or as a weapon" Smalls explained, shooting down a guy. "We need to get the hell out of here, stun them."

Rowan held her hand out, sending off another energy blast, grabbing Smalls and dragging him out the back door. The two quickly making their way down the back alley. Smalls grabbed Rowan, pulling a grappling hook from his belt, aiming it upwards as the two shot into the air.

Smalls landed on the roof graceful as Rowan tumbled, grunting in annoyance as she laid on her back on the top of the roof. "What the fuck."

"Sorry, I was going to tell you in the shop, because well-"

"I need to find Steve."

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

"He could be next, he could be their next target!" Rowan spoke, sitting up with a groan.

"Or he could be comprised as well?"

"No, Fury told me to always trust Steve and only Steve." Rowan spit out, as Smalls sat down, letting out an annoyed sigh.

"Okay, what's our plan?"

"You go back to shield, pretend everything's okay, pretend that you know nothing. I'll need you for insider information." Rowan spoke, as her phone started to ring, the two, looking at each other.

"Answer it." Smalls spoke, nodding towards the cellphone on the ground.

Rowan grabbed the phone, looking down at the contact name: 'Capsicle'. Rowan let out a sigh, as she calmed her breathing. "Hello?"