Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Rowan tossed and turned in the bed, everyone had headed to Lagos except for her and Rhodey, but Rhodey had ditched her, going out to some bars. Rowan let out a deep breath, annoyed, she practically got benched. Steve had told her there would be no use for her on this mission, she turned again, facing the wall.

The crunching of feet on hardwood, brought her out of her head, shooting up out of bed, creating a bright blue force field, brightening up the room. "J-James...?"

It had been a long year, with only phone calls, but she instantly recognized him, his hair was much longer. His clothes were dirty, as was his face, but it was Bucky. "Hey doll"

"What the hell are you doing here?" Rowan whispered, the force field disappearing as her hands dropped to her side, she quickly made her way towards him, noticing the cut on his cheek. She couldn't help, but find her hand instantly landing on his cheek, her thumb moving over the cut. He looked exhausted and Rowan felt herself pitying him. "Are you okay?"

"I missed you." His voice is rough as if he had started smoking. Before Rowan can even respond the two are interrupted by Veronica.

"Mrs Green, I have identified an armed and unauthorized individual within your room, shall I alert the authorities?" Veronica spoke and Rowan took a sharp breath.

"No, Veronica, please don't. It's okay." Rowan spoke, softly almost as if she was scared that if she spoke too loud that she would scare Bucky off.

Rowan, moved to the lamp that stood beside her TV, turning it on, she grabbed Buckys arm, dragging him to her bed and pushing him down. "You look exhausted."

"Nice to see you too, Rowan. I like your pyjamas." Rowan looked down at her pyjamas, her blue shorts that had little cartoon cheese and macaroni on it and the top that matched, she felt her cheeks instantly warm up.

"They're comfy and I'll have you know this is my home and I can technically kick you out" Rowan watched as Buckys eyebrows shot up as if to say, 'I'd like to see you try'

"You know, I think you enjoy my company" Bucky spoke and Rowan rolled her eyes.

"I only take care of you so I can rub it in Steve's face one day" Rowan spoke, smirking and shrugging her shoulders. "You hadn't phoned me in months....I was ready to come looking for you myself."

"Well, that doesn't sound like someone who's just using me for leverage." Bucky spoke as Rowan rolled her eyes.

"Watch it metal man." Rowan snorted and Bucky rolled his eyes. "Why'd you come, James?"

Bucky looked to Rowan, eyebrows raised as if to say 'the audacity of this girl'. He let out a huff, laying back on her bad, he thought her eyes would jump out of her head.

"Hey! Get off of there right now! That is a white comforter! It's expensive...I think..." Rowan exclaimed, grabbing Buckys arm and pulling him back up as she looked at the dirty spots on the comforter. "Now, would you look at what you've done! You know there's dogs trained to act better than you?"

"You are so mean, you know that right?" Bucky exclaimed, a smirk on his lips as Rowan rolled her eyes.

"I am very, nice to you, I think"

"Usually if you have to think about it, that's a problem."

"Is not."

"Is too."

"Is not." Rowan exclaimed as Bucky chuckled, snooping around her room looking at the pictures scattered around the walls.

Bucky looked at the pictures of her and Steve, Tony Stark, that Sam Wilson, and another younger girl. The room was nice, almost felt like home. "Is this your home now?"

Rowan snorted, watching Bucky like a hawk, she trusted him but she didn't want him to find anything embarrassing. "I've never had a home, I doubt I ever will."

Bucky looked up from the pictures, an eyebrow raised at Rowan as he shook his head. "I don't believe that, I don't think you believe it either."

"I missed you, James." Rowan spoke, Bucky wouldn't have been able to probably hear her if he wasn't a super soldier.

His blue eyes stared into hers, as her cheeks turned bright pink, embarrassed by her own words, she almost wished she hadn't said anything. "I missed you, Rowan. A lot actually."

Rowan couldn't help the soft smile that appeared on her lips as she stood up, she stood in front of Bucky, looking up, Rowan held his hands in hers. They were rough, calloused, and she could feel the cuts and swelling on them.

"But that's why I can't stay." Bucky swallowed, it was so loud it echoed in the room and Rowan felt her heart drop.

"Please, James. We can help you...I can help you, we will figure it out. We can, together-"

"Rowan...this is something I have to do on my own, I...I'm sorry." Bucky let out a sigh as Rowan felt tears sting her eyes.

"But, James, I can help." Rowan paused, her eyes looking into Buckys, searching for any bit of hope. "James, I can look after you."

"That isn't your job, I'm sorry doll." And just like that Bucky, gently let go of the girls hands, sighing, and making his way to the window.

And as quickly as he had appeared, he disappeared, and Rowan felt a sob escape her lips, echoing in her room.