Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Rowan tapped her fingernails against the wooden table, her eyes stared at this General Ross, she saw how it worked out the last time the government was in charge of superhero's. She wasn't impressed with Tony, bringing this guy here. Especially after they had taken such a loss and hard hit.

Rowan sat beside Steve, she could feel the confusion and tension radiate off of him as Sam sat across from her, watching General Ross, analyzing his body language. Rowan looked from Steve to Sam, Botha body's so rigid and stiff, it reminded her of Bucky, she let out a sigh. Annoyed, her mind always went back to Bucky, she wondered what he was doing at the moment, he was in Belgium last time he phoned her, only a couple of days ago.

"5 years ago, I had a heart attack. And dropped right in the middle of my back swing...turns out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass...I found something forty years in the army never taught me." General Ross paused dramatically, looking around the table. "Perspective, the world owes the Avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives...but while many people see you as heroes. There are some...who would prefer the word...vigilantes."

Natasha was the first to speak up, she always was. She was such a quick thinker and she always knew what the right answer was, Rowan looked up to her, greatly. "And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?"

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US based enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders...and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who frankly seem unconcerned with what they leave behind." Rowan let out an annoyed sigh as she watched the secretary move to the side, images of New York popping up. The destruction and injured civilians, soon images of Washington were next. Rowan swallowed, a sick feeling in her gut, staring down at the table. Sokovia followed and quickly after so did Lagos.

"Alright. That's enough." Steve spoke sternly, Rowans eyes looked back up at Ross, ready for the circus to pack up.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision, that's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Rowan watched as Ross grabbed a large book from his assistant, handing it to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers should no longer be a private organization. Instead...it'll operate under the supervision of the United Nations Panel...only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve spoke, his eyes locked on the Sokovia accords.

"Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes. You can bet there's be consequences." Ross spoke and Rowan shook her head.

"Last time the government was in charge of me and my powers, I was in hydras hands." Rowan spoke, her eyes staring at Ross, who turned around to face her. "I joined the avengers to be a hero, not become a weapon again."

"That's why, multiple governments will be in charge of you, you'll still be helping but only when needed." Ross spoke, his eyes stern on the younger woman. "Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies. Three days from now the UN meets to ratify the accords. Talk it over." Rowan let out a sigh, watching Ross leave the room.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"Than you retire."

...

"Secretary Ross has a ceo Freddie all Medal of Honor... Which is one more than you have."

Rowan stood behind Steve, looking over his shoulder, reading over the accords beside him. Sam and Rhodeys argument echoing in the room. Rowan set her hand on Steve's shoulder, the man looking up at her, Rowan searched his face, looked for any sign of what he was thinking. She swallowed, no sign.

"I have an equation." The twos heads turned into the direction of vision. "In the eight years that Mr.Stark has announced himself as Iron Man...the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potentially world ending events has risen at a commencing rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?"

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. Conflict...breeds catastrophe. Oversight. Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom."

Steve looked up at Rowan, Rowan was disappointed, she felt disgusted. She was in this same position in Washington, shield or hydra, had created her made her a weapon, doing whatever they wanted, whenever, wherever. Here she was in the same position again. But this time she had a choice.

"Tony. You're being uncharacteristically non hyper verbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve spoke, as Rowan stood up straight, thoughts of retirement going through her brain, she could buy a lake house, sleep all day. Not have to walk twenty blocks to find a street phone, just to have a two minute conversation with Bucky, just to make sure he was alive. Or she could turn into one of those street hero's like Daredevil.

"Boy, you know me so well. Actually I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache, that's what's going on Cap, just pain." Rowan watched as Tony grabbed a coffee cup from her pile of clean dishes. She scrunched up her face, annoyed because she just washed those. "It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

Rowans eyes shot to the culprit, Sam stood his eyes wide, before focusing his attention back on Tony. Who set his tablet down, a face of a young boy coming up. "Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way. Greta kid, computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA... had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But, first he wanted to put a few miles of his soul...before he parked it behind a desk, see the world, maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. Didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. No, he decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass."

Rowan let out a sigh, her eyes on the back of Steve's head, as he looked down. She knew there were a million thoughts going through his head, there was for everyone in the room. But, silently Rowan prayed. She prayed that she wouldn't become a weapon again. "There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check. Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less...we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, someone died on your watch, you don't give up."

"Who said we're giving up?"

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame-"

"I'm sorry Steve, but that's just dangerously arrogant, this is the united nations we are talking about-" Rhodey spoke up, Rowan shook her head, annoyed.

Rowan made her way to the door catching the attention of everyone especially Tony. "Now, Where are you headed, this is a team meeting-"

"Tony, I have worked for a government before. Didn't turn out so well for me the first time, and I doubt it will this time. I've made my decision. I would rather retire than become a weapon again." Rowan spoke sternly, turning on her heel and making he way down the stairs.