Chapter Twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY

"She's gone."

"What?" Rowan looked up at Steve, her eyebrows furrowed, confused. The blonde super soldiers eyes were glued to the concrete ground, cool wind blowing through his hair.

"Peggy...she's gone." Rowan let out a gasp of shock, feeling herself get sick to her stomach, as she watched the man let out a deep sigh.

"Oh god, Steve" Rowan quickly made her way to Steve, pulling him in for a hug as he let out a sob. "I'm so sorry, Steve"

Rowan held the man tightly, as he cried into her shoulder, she rubbed circles into his back, trying to soothe him in any way possible. She knew what this meant to Steve, he was alone again. Bucky was long gone, Peggy, being alive meant he wasn't completely alone. But now.

"I-I'm sorry" Steve's broken whisper pulled Rowan out of her thoughts and back to reality, as she pulled away, his bloodshot, and red eyes looked at her with guilt.

"Don't you dare ever apologize again for that." Rowan spoke sternly, she loved Steve, he was her best friend, she trusted him with everything. She wanted him to trust her in the same way.

"I...I, her funeral is next week, in London." Steve spoke, softly, looking back to the ground. Her eyebrows furrowed, she had never seen Steve this shy. "Sams going to come with me, but I'd like it, if you came as well. If you don't mind."

Rowan grabbed the mans hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Steve looked up at Rowan as she gave him a soft and kind smile. "I'll be there Steve."

...

Rowan sat beside Sam, her hands crossed over her laps, uncomfortably. Rowan had never been to a funeral, had never seen one except on the Tv. But she would do anything for Steve, he was always there for her. She wanted to be there for him. Even if it included her being in London.

Rowan never knew Peggy Carter, personally, but she knew what she meant to Steve and she knew how hard this was on Steve.

Sams elbow brought Rowan back to reality as he nodded towards the exit, Steve gave her a thankful smile. She followed Sam out of the church, knowing Steve wanted to be alone.

Sam and Rowan stood outside the church, a familiar bright red hair bringing the two back to reality. "This isn't the time, Nat."

Rowan looked to Sam, who looked annoyed. Rowan knew that Ross was hard on her ass about getting everyone to sign the accords. But, she didn't expect this.

"I'm not here about the accords, I'm here to see a friend." Natasha spoke, sincerely as Sam nodded and Rowan gave her a small smile.

"Who's all signed?" Rowan spoke up, eyebrow raised, her curiosity getting the best of her.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision..." Rowan nodded, awkwardly, watching as Natasha nodded towards the church doors. "I'm going to go check on my friend."

Rowan and Sam, watched as the woman disappeared behind the glass church doors.

The blonde hair that came out of the doors, brought Rowan and Sam back to reality, as he cleared his throat, holding the door open, Sharon following behind.

"Hey, I'm sorry for your loss." Rowan nodded to Sharon, who gave her a thankful smile.

"Thank you."

"Back to the hotel?" Sam questioned, Steve nodding.

The group found themselves at the hotel bar, all sharing stories over drinks. Visiting, being normal. Even, with everything in question. The situation that surrounded them. But, soon that quickly came an end.

Rowans eyebrows furrowed, standing up, staring at the Tv in front of her. Rowan felt sick to her stomach as her jaw dropped at the sight on the news. "Bucky?"

Steve, Sam, and Sharon's heads shot in the direction of the girl. The three moving to get a closer look, all the shock obvious on their faces. Sharon's phone beginning to ring, rapidly, as she excused herself.

"A bomb in a news van in Vienna, more then seventy have been injured. At least twelve are dead, including Wakandas king, T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect...identified as James Buchanan Barnes...the winter soldier, the infamous hydra agent-"

"Steve, I-I...that's not him" Rowan stuttered, looking to the blonde behind her.

"I know, where is he?" Steve spoke, sternly as Sam looked to the two in shock.

"What do you mean where is he." Sam spoke, eyes wide.

"I-I don't know, he-oh god. He moves so quickly." Rowan spoke, running a hand through her hair.

"What are you two talking about?" Sam spoke, tapping Rowan on the shoulder as she looked back at him.

"I-oh god, I've been in contact with James."

"YOU'VE BEEN IN CONTACT THIS WHOLE TIME!" Sam exclaimed, dramatically, throwing his hands in the air. "IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A YEAR! FOR ANY CLUES AND YOU KNEW THIS WHOLE TIME!"

"Sam, enough." Steve spoke sternly as Sam looked to him, in shock. "Rowan, think. Did he mention where at all he was going or heading."

Rowan thought back to their phone conversation, biting her lip. The girl stopped, her jaw dropping as she looked back to Steve. "Bucharest."