46: Just a Second Wife

Hazel didn't come soon after he left. As a matter of fact, he came in probably around the early hours the next day. I didn't get to see him to talk to him mostly because he shut himself up in his bedroom and locked the door. The guard outside told me he seemed drunk when he had just gotten in and could hardly walk. Almost a miracle he drove himself back unharmed.

"Why do you keep making that face?" I heard Avery ask followed by the sound of him frying whatever it was he was cooking. I wasn't allowed to cook apparently because 'it's not my house'. Obviously it's not his too but he won't even let the maid cook.

"What face?" I asked as I grabbed the orange juice in the tumbler and took some small sips.

"You look sad, somehow. Was I that bad yesterday?" He asked as he placed a good looking plate of eggs and some brownies on the side.

"Stop talking about that. No." I rolled my eyes as he sat beside me.

"So what is?" He asked and I sighed out, stabbing the egg with the fork before I turned to face him.

"I think Hazel isn't ok." I admitted but did not get any expression from him. He simply shrugged his shoulders and began to cut his own breakfast.

"He got disowned, cheated on and reminded of his ex-wife. How else would he react?" He raised his brows and I glanced towards the arch in worry.

He could be dead without us knowing.

"Is it my fault?" My voice squirreled out as I glanced down to the floor and clenched my fists. "I feel like I ruined your lives...."

"Hey." I shut my eyes as I felt his arms circle my shoulders before I was carefully pulled to him. "Don't say things like that."

"You and Hazel had a bad relationship of course, but it got worse when I was involved. You disowned him mostly because you were jealous of his influence over me. He feels betrayed because I tried to get with him with strong feelings for you..... I didn't even make his life easier, I made it harsh and I somehow feel he's regretting ever meeting me." I sniffed as I rubbed my tears onto his shirt and shoved my face into his hard skin, almost suffocating myself.

"Personally. Partially, disowning him was to try to keep you from him, but that wasn't all of it. Most of it was something in the past, like I had told you. Hazel had always loved Maggie. It wasn't even that long ago, so just understand him. I mean, he still thinks he killed her. When it was just an accident. Trying to take you from me was probably a way of revenge. But maybe he actually fell in love with you. I doubt he was surprised that we slept together. He should have known it was bound to happen. So don't get too hard on yourself. I'm glad I met you, anyway. I didn't wish to talk to you the first time I saw you and how you acted towards me but I kept glancing your way every now and then, wondering 'who is that woman?'. Oh, it's Iris. Iris Brown." He chuckled as he planted a small kiss onto my head as I shut my eyes, somewhat relieved. "You know, until now I don't really know why I really love you to death. It's almost as though the entire you is too perfect not to love."

"Shut up." I chuckled as I leaned from him while I wiped myself. "Stop flattering me."

"I'm not... I'm actually being serious-"

"Avery." We all turned towards the arch where Hazel was standing, hardly looking drunk but with black under eyes. "Maybe we should call it quits and you can take Iris."

"... Are you serious?" Avery asked as I kept my eyes on Hazel who didn't even glance my way. "What's gotten into you?"

"We can't play stupid. Iris obviously loves you more than she'll ever love me. Even if I win in the end, she won't be happy. It's best she goes with you. You win by default."

"What if it's yours?" Avery asked as he stood up.

"You won't need to do any tests. Just call it yours." He said as he walked towards the sink. "I'll leave it all to you. You'll always win, Avery. I know that's true. You get the family, the money and the girl. You have it all. Not everyone gets that chance."

"Do you really love her?" Avery suddenly asked and I glanced up at him in shock. "If you did, you wouldn't just give up-"

"What the fvck should I do!? Force her to love me more!? Beat her up every time she sees you? You know you won't even leave us alone if it's mine. You'll still want to get her somehow and I know. Iris and I are doomed with you still hanging on. So I don't feel like going through another sh*t load of hell."

"How about a deal." Avery pointed out as he walked towards Hazel. "Whomever losses, leaves and never comes back. No contact with Iris or the winner. Nothing completely. I will follow them if you win. I promise." I felt my heart sink at the promise they were giving each other.

Not friends.

Not workmates.

Not even strangers.

Completely nothing.

They'll just be another human being.

"If you break the promise?" Hazel asked as he stared straight at Avery.

"You can report me to the police as a stalker or something. That way I'll definitely stay away." Avery shrugged his shoulder as Hazel shifted his gaze to me, forcing a chill run up my spine.

"You're making such a promise, knowing I have more of the advantage. I didn't use anything on her. I even let go in her. You just came by the next day when I obviously had a whole twenty-four hours head start." Hazel tried to explain but with Avery being as stubborn as hell, he still went on.

"You said it yourself, your marriage wouldn't work if I cling onto Iris. The whole reason I'm even here is because I know I'll lose. I just want to spend last times with her. Even if there's a slim chance it's mine, I'll keep hoping for it." I really admired Avery's strong will. But at this point. Knowing Hazel had a full twenty-four hours ahead of Avery is down to a zero chance it's even his.

It's just biology and science.

Avery might actually disappear.

What will my life look like then?

And he even knew it.

That's the whole reason he begged me not to even test for the baby but just become his second wife.

Hazel had the upper hand and I most definitely will become his second wife.

I am just a second wife.