11

Clary is sitting on her bed with the lock of her mother's hair and a picture of them in her hands, Davina is stood at the window. There's a knock on her door. Alec comes in cautiously.

"Hey. Look, I, uh-"

"Please don't," Clary says

"Clary, I am so sorry. I would do anything, I mean anything, to take back those thirty seconds. To get your mom back" Alec says.

Clary glances at Davina and she nods.

"Alec maybe we can get her back," Clary says.

"What?"

"Vee and I found a warlock who claims she can do it. But, there are risks"

"I'll go with you. Clary, if there's any chance that we can get your mother back, we have to take it. No matter what happens, I'll be there"

"Okay. Let's do it"

Alec, Davina, and Clary are at Iris' house. Alec knocks. A pregnant woman opens the door.

"Are you here to see Dr Rouse?"

"Yes. Um- I, I think she's expecting us. My name's Clary and this is Davina"

"I was indeed expecting you. I only wondered when. And I see you brought a guest. One of your two's boyfriend?"

Iris comes to the door and Leigh leaves.

"No," All three say, looking at each other.

"Well, whatever you are, leave your weapon outside. Any warlock worth a damn can see through Shadowhunter glamour with ease. Oh, don't worry. It'll be safe in the alcove" Iris says.

Alec retrieves his trusty bow and arrows, which were previously slung over his shoulder, and proceeds to enter the house. Upon entering, he carefully places his weapon beside the door as per the woman's demands.

"Did you bring your mother's-"

"Uh, her hair. Yes," Clary says.

"Perfect. Nurse Leigh will help you with the paperwork"

"Uh, paperwork?"

"Yeah, just a simple pinprick to draw blood for the oath. For the favour, we talked about. Either of you can take the oath"

"I'll do it," Davina says and Iris smiles at her.

"Well, I- I don't know about any favour," Alec says.

"Oh, that was the deal we made," Iris says.

"It's fine, Alec," Clary says. "We wanna do this"

"Delightful. Follow me. Your friend can wait here for you in the waiting room"

"No, I'm not leaving their sides," Alec says.

"Oh, then I can't do this. His energy is too turbulent. I need calm, and he is not calm" Iris says.

"Okay, I'm gonna need to see some credentials. Show me your warlock mark" Alec says.

"Dear, if a lady has concealed her mark, assume it's for good reason"

"Alec, it's okay. I'll be fine. Really"

"It'll be okay Alec," Davina says, shooting him a smile.

Clary and Davina follow Iris upstairs.

As Clary leisurely sips her tea, Iris passes over a cup to Davina, who quickly adds a spoonful of sugar to sweeten it to her liking. Davina then takes a sip, savouring the warm and comforting taste of the tea.

"Place your mother's lock of hair on the table, please. Now, I need you to focus as intensely as you can on a cherished memory of your mother. Can you do that? Davina, I need you to focus on when you felt most attached to Jocelyn"

"Yeah," Clary says.

"That will help repel any demons that dare come near her soul," Iris says.

Clary closes her eyes and concentrates.

"There you go, Clary. Good girl. Now Davina, you too"

"Now, let the process begin"

As Iris skillfully wields her magic, Davina attempts to concentrate on her task at hand. However, her attention is abruptly diverted by a persistent tapping noise emanating from the nearby window. Reluctantly, Davina pries open her eyes to discover a black crow frantically pecking and screeching, repeatedly colliding with the glass barrier.

"Oh, my God. That bird!" Davina says.

"Focus on Clary's mother, Davina," Iris says. "Or we'll lose the connection"

The crow flies through the window and continues flying through the room. Iris picks it out of the air and snaps its neck. Iris continues chanting in Latin.

"No. Stop!" Davina grabs the lock of hair from the table. "Clary, there's got to be another way"

"Just because one bird came back badly doesn't mean-"

"Well, we're not willing to take the chance. I'm sorry I wasted your time" Clary says.

"You didn't waste my time. You still owe me a favour" Iris says.

"The deal's off," Davina says.

"No, it's not. You took a blood oath" Iris says and Davina rolls her eyes.

"Fine. Call me when you need us" The young woman says.

"I need you now," Iris says and the best friends look at each other before looking back at Iris.

"You two are going to host two of my finest creations," Iris says.

"Host? What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about having a baby, Clary. A baby warlock"

Davina and Clary stand up, only to find themselves surrounded by a magic barrier.