12

"Let us out!" Davina snaps, hitting the wall and Iris shakes her head.

"Warlocks are a dying breed, and I need young women like you, healthy and fertile, that my own private demons can impregnate. Oh, I wish there was another way to do it. I do. But now, with Valentine threatening to wipe us all out, we need to build our numbers" Iris says.

"I'm a Shadowhunter. A demon can't get me-" Clary says.

"Pregnant? I think I finally discovered an elixir that makes it possible. I gave it to Davina just to be sure, even though she had demon blood her angel blood may cause some undesired interference"

Clary looks at the teacups on the coffee table before looking to Davina.

"You spiked the tea," Davina says.

"Imagine a baby warlock, part demon, part Shadowhunter. And Davina's will be Seelie royalty. Now, that would be something. Definitely harder to drive into extinction. The good news is after the baby's born, I'll do a memory wipe. You'll be back home, none the wiser"

Clary punches the invisible walls as Davina tries to find a weakness in the barrier.

Davina wakes up in a room alone.

"Alec! Anyone? Alec! Clary!"

As the door slowly creaks open, Davina's heart begins to race with apprehension. Suddenly, a blood-curdling growl echoes through the room as a menacing demon emerges from the shadows. Davina quickly seizes a nearby wooden crate and hurls it towards the creature, shattering it into pieces. Frantically searching for a weapon, she spots a jagged piece of wood and grips it tightly. The demon charges forward, snarling and snapping, but Davina stands her ground and strikes with all her might, slicing the demonic creature with a swift and powerful blow.

Davina opens her mouth and wails loudly, a silvery barrier surrounding her. The demon screeches in pain, clutching its head. The Seelie Princess is engulfed by a green glow as the demon's back arches before it explodes.

"What the hell was that?" Jace asks, running into the room.

"I- I don't know. I- I just screamed and it killed the demon"

"You just killed a demon with a wail. I knew you had a strong skill set, but that was amazing" Jace says. "Have you ever done that before?"

"No, I-"

"Look, whatever just happened, let's keep this to ourselves"

"And Clary" Davina says.

Clary, Thomas, Isabelle, and Alec come running in. They stare at the remaining pieces of demon ash before looking at Jace and Davina.

"There you are," Alec says.

"Are you okay?" Clary asks.

"Yeah. I'm, I'm fine" Davina says.

A priest puts rose petals on each of the dead. Everyone is dressed in white, ready to say goodbye. Alec, Thomas, Davina, and Jace walk in.

"You all right?" Davina asks the Lightwood man.

She receives a nod in response before Alec offers her his arm. Davina loops her arm through his before they move to their seats.

"I can't do this, Jace" Clary whispers to the blonde.

"Yes, you can. Just don't let go of me"

Jace looks to Davina who smiles softly at him before he takes Clary's hand. Holding hands, they walk forward.

"Those remaining will take their place with the fallen," Aldertree says.

"Those remaining will say the names of the fallen"

"Brother Micah"

"Pulvis et umbra sumus"

"Brother Jeremiah"

"For we are dust and shadows"

"Jocelyn... Mom..."

Jace wraps his arms around Clary, holding her close as tears stream down her face. Davina's hand reaches out to the right, finding Alec's hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze. Alec returns the gesture, offering a supportive presence during this emotional moment.

"Jocelyn Fairchild"

"Ave atque vale. Hail and farewell"

After their mission was complete, Clary and Jace rejoined the crowd. Jace entrusted Clary to Davina's care, who held her friend tightly. Aldertree and the two Silent Brothers took out their steles and used them to perform a ritual over each of the fallen. As they raised their hands, the 'souls' of the deceased departed from the earthly realm.

Davina stays behind once everyone's gone and slowly approaches Jocelyn's body.

"I just wanted to apologize," Davina says. "For saying you destroy everything you touch when I saw your body on the floor of my room. They found the letter in your pocket but I was hoping we could bring you back and you could read it to me"

Davina pulls the letter out and shakily opens it.

Davina,

I know you said for me not to speak to you again and I completely understand your reasoning. I've done many twisted and messed-up things to keep my past away from Clary and you. I wanted to protect you from the world because your biological mother, although she may love you, her self-preservation instincts will always come first.

I'm telling you this because your mother will choose the winning side. No matter who it is. I'm here to tell you to stay true to yourself because you are good Davina. You always have been and you're good for my son. Your love for him reminds me much of myself, not with Valentine, but with Luke. Your love is tainted and shadowed by darkness but your love shines and burns enough to keep the darkness at bay.

I want you to know that as far away as I travel, you will always hold a special place in my heart alongside Clary.

I love you

Jocelyn

"Ave atque vale. Hail and farewell Jocelyn"

 Hail and farewell Jocelyn"