15

Clary activates of Cleophas' healing rune, while Davina meticulously cleans away the crimson-stained remnants of the recent altercation. Cleophas, aided by Davina's support, rises to her feet, her body revived by the rune. Meanwhile, Thomas, his eyes fixated with suspicion, observes the scene with a guarded intensity.

"Of all the places you could go, you chose to ask a Downworlder for help?" Luke asks. "A soulless monster. A filthy animal. Or have you forgotten all the names you called me? Because I haven't"

"Luke" Davina says warningly before looking at Cleophas. "What happened at the Citadel?"

"Valentine's men infiltrated. We tried to fight them off. They- They killed Magdalena and took me" Cleophas says.

"Only you? Why is that?" Luke scoffs.

"Luke" Davina hisses and the man raises his hands in surrender.

"I don't know. He brought me to New York, and locked me up. I managed to get a jump on one of his guards and fight my way out" Cleophas says.

"You can't seriously expect us to believe that"

"Luke, you're not helping," Davina says.

"Davina's right," Clary says.

"I agree with Luke," Thomas says.

"Shut up Tom" Clary says.

"It's okay, Clarissa. I know where Valentine's hiding. I can lead you to him" Cleophas says.-

"Luke, we have to do this. It's our chance to find Valentine" Clary says.

"No way. I couldn't save your mother, but I'll be damned if I put you in jeopardy. Either of you"

Luke glares at Davina who had opened her mouth to speak.

"If we could just discuss this-"

"Not now, you two"

"Please," Clary says.

As the group moved towards the back, Clary gave Luke a pointed look. He quickly caught on and followed her and Davina, leaving Thomas, Alaric, and the other men to stay with Cleophas.

"You try anything funny with either of them and I'll kill you," Thomas says.

"You've fallen in love with the Fairchild girl, haven't you?"

Thomas points his blade at Cleophas' throat.

"Look. I know my sister's convincing, but you can't fall for her lies" Luke says.

"She's not that convincing," Davina snorts. "I know a self inflicted wound when I see one"

"We just need to keep her convinced that she has two of Valentine's main targets convinced," Clary says.

"Well done. Now, what the hell are they planning?" Luke asks.

"That's what we have to figure out. Valentine has the Soul-Sword, Luke. If she can lead us to him-"

"Not happening"

"Well, isn't that what cops do? Go undercover?" Clary asks.

"I didn't realize you had a badge"

"This is our chance to make Valentine pay for what he did to Mom"

"And to stop him before he hurts anyone else," Davina says and Clary nods.

"No. We're turning Cleo over to the Clave. They have more resources" Luke says.

"We need to do something now. If he has the Sword, who knows what he'll do next" Davina says.