14

Jace is currently lying down in his bed while Davina is seated on top of him. She gestures towards one of the runes on his chest, as she questions him on each one to refresh her memory.

"What's this one do?"

"Flexibility"

Jace placed his arm firmly around Davina's waist and effortlessly flipped them around, causing her to wrap her legs around his waist. He now hovered over her, their bodies pressed against each other in a tight embrace.

"And this one?"

"Stamina"

"Ooh, I like the sound of that. And I like this method of learning" Davina says.

They start kissing and Alec walks in before speaking up.

"We have our orders. Let's go"

"I'm a little tied up"

"Not yet, you're not. I'll give you two a minute," Davina says and pulls on a green robe.

When she passes Alec she leans up to whisper in his ear.

"Get him to do something," Davina says.

"I'm going to try"

Davina leaves the room and walks into the kitchen where Magnus hands her a croissant and a bowl of fruit.

"You're the best"

Davina brings the breakfast into the bedroom and places it on the bed. She then sits and eats the fruit as Jace steals pieces of the croissant.

"I hate you"

"No, you don't"

Davina's phone rings and it's Thomas.

"One sec" Davina presses a kiss to Jace's lips. "Leave me some raspberries"

Davina holds the phone to her ear.

"Thomas?"

"The Citadel has been attacked," Thomas says. "We need your help looking for Luke's sister, Cleo something?"

"Sister?"

"One of the Iron Sisters"

"Everyone's got siblings huh?" Davina asks, pulling on some clean underwear before grabbing a pair of skinny jeans, she then throws them on the floor before grabbing a black skirt.

"They think it was Valentine"

"Obviously it was Valentine," Davina says. "Who else has the motive of killing the Iron sisters? Where did you put my t-shirts, Jace?"

"Did you not unpack your own clothes?"

"Jace has a thing about order," Davina says.

"Top left shelf"

"And he has nothing to do so, he rearranges"

Davina pulls her top from the shelf in the wardrobe and pulls it on before tucking it into her skirt. She quickly does her makeup as Thomas tells her about the goings-on in the Institute.

"Your dad arrived last night," Thomas says. "Aldertree sure got an earful when he found out you'd moved as to not see him"

"Yeah, well, he's not exactly in my top five people to meet," Davina says, pulling on her heeled boots.

"Who is?"

"Beyonce, Harry Styles, Johnny Depp, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint-"

"Because he's a fellow ginger?"

"I'm not ginger Thomas," Davina says, walking to the coat rack and grabbing her jacket.

"Where are you going?" Jace asks.

"Luke and Clary need me," Davina says and he nods and they quickly kiss.

"Hurry back"

"I'll try," Davina says, closing the door. "Where do I need to go?"

"You're so domestic," Magnus says to Jace. "Sometimes I wish Alec would be blackmailed out of the Institute"

As Luke, Davina, Thomas, and Clary walk along the docks, Davina couldn't help but notice the growing closeness between Thomas and Clary. Although she wanted to address it, Davina knew that the present moment wasn't the appropriate time to bring it up. Their walk continued, the sound of seagulls and the gentle lapping of waves providing a peaceful backdrop to their thoughts.

"So you met Cleophas?" Luke asks Clary.

"At the Citadel. I'm trying to figure out this new rune ability and-"

"Wait, hold it. Rune ability?"

"I was somehow able to create a new rune," Clary says.

"I didn't even know that was possible," Luke says.

"Neither did I. Luke, it was the most incredible thing. I- I shot sunlight out of my hand and Davina screamed so powerfully she decimated a demon. Thomas said not to tell anyone, but Cleophas was your sister, and if Valentine has hurt her or worse, I-"

"Whoa, hold it, hold it. Clary, Clary listen to me. Cleo may not be the victim here. She could be working with Valentine" Luke says.

"Uh, no, she's so dedicated to the Iron Sisters"

"When the Circle disbanded, she had to be"

"She was a member of the Circle? I didn't realize-"

"And she worshipped Valentine, followed him around like a little puppy," Luke says.

"There's some irony there," Thomas says and Clary nudges his side.

"Not the time Tom," Clary says.

"When I finally figured out what Valentine was up to, I'd lost my sister for good"

"We have to get her back, Luke"

"I don't know. It might be too late" Luke says and Davina shakes her head.

"No. We've lost so much," Davina says. "Family is all we have. She's your sister, Luke. Don't you wanna at least try? Or are you going to let Valentine take something else?"

Davina and Thomas were sharing a huge dish of noodles between them as Luke speaks up.

"Told you, Clary. I've used all the department's resources. There's no sign of her"

As Cleophas enters the restaurant, blood stains her clothes and she appears to be bleeding. Clary is the first to notice her, but Davina is the one to swiftly catch her as she falls. Without hesitation, Davina assists Cleophas in sitting up, disregarding the blood that has now stained her own clothes.

"Lucian- Help me"

Davina rolls up the woman's shirt, staring at the cut on her flesh. The cut was jagged but not as deep as would be expected from an attack. To Davina, the wound looked self-inflicted but she didn't voice her concerns. The young woman knew that Cleophas could be their only way to get to Valentine.

 The young woman knew that Cleophas could be their only way to get to Valentine