24

Davina's phone rings and she sees that it's Maryse. She and Thomas had gone to her old apartment where she and Dot used to live.

"Maryse?"

"Have you been told the news yet?"

"No what news?"

"Circle members broke into the Clave prison and Davina-"

"No," Davina says.

"They've broken your father out," Maryse says. "Wherever you are, you need to get back to the Institute"

Davina pulls the phone away from her ear and she looks at Thomas.

"What?"

"The Circle," Davina says. "They've broken my father out"

"Oh Dee" Thomas sighs, pulling her in for a hug.

Valentine is locked in a chair in a cell in the basement, with one glass wall where Davina, Jace, Thomas, and Clary stand watching.

A rune on his wrist is activated by Inquisitor Imogen Herondale's stele, making Valentine's skin sear. He screams.

"You!" Valentine says.

"I could keep going or you can tell me where you hid the Mortal Cup"

"She's like the world's anti-grandma. One that tortures villains instead of making you cupcakes" Davina muses.

"Now, where's the fun in that, huh?" Valentine asks.

"You know, this quest of yours to collect the three Mortal Instruments to raise the Angel Raziel, it was a fool's errand," Imogen says.

"A fool doesn't demand this kind of attention, now, would he?"

"No one's ever seen the Mortal Mirror. We have no idea if it even exists"

"The Clave has no idea about a multitude of things"

"Well, this much is certain. At this point, your only way to avoid execution is to hand over the Cup" Imogen says.

Valentine chuckles and coughs.

"Actually, it's quite the opposite. See, knowing where the Mortal Cup is that's the only thing that's keeping me alive"

"Valentine, you and I both know the Cup can control demons. In the wrong hands, it could be catastrophic" Imogen says.

"In your hands, I'm a dead man," Valentine says and Imogen chuckles.

"Nineteen Shadowhunters died on your assault on this Institute, along with hundreds of Downworlders that you massacred with the Soul Sword. Justice will be served"

Valentine pulls on the straps he's tied in with. Imogen and the guards leave the room and go to the four teenage Shadowhuters who were watching the events occur.

"How long can you keep torturing him?"

"As long as it takes," Imogen says.

"If you want the truth, why not just use the Soul Sword?" Jace asks.

"Are you telling me how to do my job?" Imogen asks, raising an eyebrow at Jace.

"No. But you said you retrieved the Sword after the attack. I just don't understand why you wouldn't-"

"The rune your sister drew to deactivate the Sword ended up damaging it in the process. It's been sent to the Iron Sisters to be purified. You're Valentine's children. Tell me what you know"

"Nothing. Haven't they proven themselves? Valentine attacked the Institute. Then we captured him" Davina says.

"At what cost? By taking matters into your own hands, you've planted the seeds for rebellion in the Downworld. The Accords will be near impossible to maintain now" Imogen says. "You will be a very important piece in keeping the Accords together"

Imogen is about to go on the elevator. She turns around one last time to Jace, Davina, Thomas, and Clary.

"Fall in line, or you'll end up like Aldertree, in Idris facing reprimand"

Imogen and her guards leave.

"Charming woman," Davina says. "Bet she's the life and soul of all parties"

Jace and Davina split from the rest of the group and walk down the corridor together.

"I heard about your father," Jace says. "You doing okay?"

"Yeah, I mean I saw it coming," Davina says. "Valentine wasn't going to leave him to be executed by the Clave. But now it's just a matter of time before he comes for me"

"Listen to me," Jace says and they stop.

Jace places his hands on either side of her face.

"I won't let him touch you," Jace says.

"How can you promise that?" Davina asks.

"Because I would lay my life down to protect you," Jace says.

"I don't want you dying on me," Davina says.

"Hopefully that won't happen," Jace says.

"Davina!" Alec jogs over.

Davina dabs the cloth on Isabelle's forehead as she sweats profusely.

"You need to take me to the DuMort" Isabelle begs.

"I can't," Davina says.

Isabelle stands up and Davina blocks her path.

"You have to let me go"

"Alec trusted me to look after you"

"Then I'm sorry for this"

"Wha-"

Davina falls to the ground when Isabelle hits her harshly in the temple.