Chapter 26

We let the pack sleep in then called a meeting at 10 am. Randal said it was about to be a terrible day and an even worse night so they might as well be rested for it. We couldn't argue with the logic behind the thought, but that didn't make the wait any less tense. Now all five of us stood in front of the confused pack getting ready to tell them.

'How are we going to tell them?' Randal mind-linked me. I winced slightly and felt a bit annoyed that he didn't just ask with his voice. However, as I looked out upon the hundreds of people I knew it was wise to use the mind link.

'Want me to take the lead? I hate to admit it but I've had to announce news like this a few times,' I offered in the mind link.

'They'll just blame it on you and your curse then,' He shot down.

'Then get straight to the point. Don't waste time,' I answered. The link was broken and I felt the ache appear in my mind. Randal gave me a sad smile and nodded his head once.

"We have some bad news!" Randal yelled out making the pack go silent, "Draven gave the order to attack us early this morning. At midnight we'll be fighting for our lives and our children's future."

The pack started to shout questions. Mothers clung tightly to their children while the warriors all stood emotionless. They knew this was coming. Whether anybody else will admit it is up to them, but the tension between the government and the werewolf species had reached its peak a while ago. This is overdue. "Warriors you know what to do. Everybody prepare themselves accordingly. Tonight is the battle. Be ready to fight," Randal said using his alpha command. The pack immediately went into action. Not a single person was left after about 30 seconds.

"I better go too," Jason said making us turn to face him, "My mother left a book of defensive spells that I need to set up. You probably won't see me til right before the battle. Make sure everyone gets rid of their retarded rosemary. I can't have it messing with my magic while I'm doing this."

Randal nodded and a second later his mind link rang throughout the pack, 'Jason will be setting up spells so get rid of your rosemary and don't get in his way.'

I winced as the ache intensified for a second. When the aching went away I realized that Randal and I were the only ones left. "Are you alright?" Randal asked me and placed his hand against my cheek gently. The warm tingles fled through me and I leaned into his touch.

"Don't worry about me," I replied with a small smile and placed my hand over his.

He shook his head and let out a strained laugh then revealed, "That's not possible my love. So what's wrong?"

"Every time we mind link my head starts to hurt," I admitted with a dismissive wave.

His face morphed in confusion and he examined me carefully. "That shouldn't be happening. Mind link should be as easy as talking if not easier. What's the pain like?" He asked me.

I thought about my answer for a moment then answered, "It's like a pressure. Like something is trapped in my head and it wants to get out."

"Maybe you need to use your powers? It could be like when I don't shift enough. It builds till it's forced out. The mind link hurting could be its way of presenting itself," Randal suggested at his words I realized that these last few days I haven't been working with my powers and that's when the mind link started to hurt. He's probably right then.

"I should probably practice before tonight anyways," I agreed.

We walked over to the training grounds together and went to the edge. The grounds were empty for once making it easy to see for the first time ever. It was mostly just a large area, red mats were everywhere, and tables were on the sides with different weapons laying on them.

"So what do you want to summon?" Randal asked me causing me to bring my attention back to him.

"Let's do some weapons. We can use them later," I answered. He nodded and waited for me. I focused on a random type of gun. I opened my eyes when I didn't feel anything weigh my hands down. I looked at my hands and sure enough, there was nothing

"Why didn't it work?" I asked and looked at Randal. He was in shock and looking at something behind me. I turned around and gasped. There behind me was a portal of some sorts, and on the other side, there was a weapons armory.

"What the hell?" Randal asked as he rubbed the back of his neck. I looked down at my hands then back up at the portal. I did that... Man, I am awesome!