Chapter 6

Randal's P. O. V.

I walked through Cara's door and looked at the cupboard that was left open. I felt bad that my growl scared Cara so bad. Who knew she was so scared of rats? She isn't like how she was in high school at all.

She's smarter than she was before too. I'm not even sure how that's possible! I thought it was supposed to be the opposite way when it came to brain injuries. Somehow she seems to be able to catch more details now though. So not only is her scent completely different but she acts completely different now too. I guess that's just amnesia for ya?

I walked over to the sink and sat on the floor so I could see into the cupboard. I looked into the dark and tiny space and could see her storage of dish soap. I looked past all the soaps and saw a small tin can that was toppled over. I blinked twice and then my eyes adjusted to where the small space was no longer dark.

I looked through the cupboard and was surprised to find that there really was a hole. It was a perfect arch that went into the wall. A rat could definitely live in there. Maybe it's a good thing I growled then?

I leaned back to where I couldn't see the hole anymore. Cara was terrified at just the thought of a rat, so how am I supposed to get her to come back here? I don't mind her being at my house. I actually prefer it. I can actually make sure that my mate is safe, and I get to be by her. But all of her stuff is here. She's gonna get so frustrated and then she's going to take it out on me. You know what...it's worth it.

I got up from the floor and went to the door. Before I opened it I looked around at the now spotless studio home. Since when does amnesia cause someone to no longer be a slob? Cara used to be a classic hot mess when it came to her living quarters. Her roommates in high school would always ask me to talk to her about it. If only she had been this neat back then. It could've spared me from a lot of arguments.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling when I realized the only messy thing in the house was the cupboard. That was only messy because she had been so scared she knocked things over and left before she could tidy it back up. Maybe she needed to have all these new changes for my wolf to acknowledge her as my mate. This new fear of rats and this newfound cleanliness could be what made the difference.

I just wished she remembered me... actually, maybe I'm glad that she doesn't. I really did do some bad stuff to her to get her attention and keep the other guys away from her in high school. I have a fresh start with her, and now I have an edge due to the mate bond. We're meant to be together, and I will do everything in my power to be with her.

With my newfound hope, I opened Cara's door and walked out. I looked around to make sure there were no humans around and started to strip off my clothing. I shifted into my large black wolf within seconds. I picked up my clothes with my mouth and started to run back to my house. I reached the tree line in front of my house and shifted back into my human form. I started to put my clothes back on quickly since I felt that warm tug in my chest that told me my mate was near. I pulled my blue shirt over my head and started to jog towards my house. I opened the door knowing that it was still unlocked from earlier.

"I'm back," I called out to Cara with a smile on my face as I closed the door. She didn't answer and I felt anxiety run through me. What if something happened to her while I was gone? I quickly turned around and saw her sitting at my kitchen table. I let out a breath of relief at seeing her unharmed, but my smile dropped as I noticed her expression. Her hazel eyes seemed to be looking off into the distance despite her facing a wall that didn't have any windows. Her eyebrows were slightly pinched together showing that she was deep in thought. Her dark hair was falling out of her bun and the bun itself was no longer on the top of her head.