Chapter 27

"30 minutes! Get in your positions!" Jerome yelled out to anybody that wasn't already in their designated spot. He walked around checking on different people till he was standing side by side with me. I never thought I'd see the day. Me letting a murder stand by me... Oh, what has become of me?

"Need an escort?" He asked me with his dark eyebrows raised. He looked less scary than when we first saved him. His head had been shaved completely bald then but now a thick set of red locks were long enough to almost flop in front of his eyes. His appearance made people more at ease this wag but I still knew better. He's prone to violence and killing sprees...but right now violence and killing sprees is what we need.

"I don't need anything from you," I answered and left to go to my position.

Jerome let out a sigh then added, "Okay. I'm still going with you though. You know... Since we're going to the same place."

I groaned but didn't complain further when he fell into stride with me. I kept my gaze forward but could sense him sneaking glances at me. "What do you want?" I asked tired of his not-so-great subtlety.

"Why do you hate me? You keep saying people can't trust me... Why?" Jerome inquired.

"Why on Earth would I tell you?" I questioned as we neared our spots.

"Cause there's a solid chance that every single one of us dies tonight. I don't like leaving things unsaid after my first encounter with the government," he answered.

I stopped walking and he stopped to face me too. "You really want to know?" I asked him. He nodded so I told him, "You were an infamous serial killer in one of my past dimensions, and in another dimension, you tried to kill me."

"I tried to kill you?" He questioned in horror.

"Don't worry. I killed you first," I said then patted his back and continued walking. Jerome didn't follow me and I made it over to where Randal and Derek were waiting.

Randal took a step towards me and said, "Everything's ready."

"All there is left to do is wait," Derek added as he put his hands on his hips.

"Are you sure you got the portals down already? There's still time to change our plans," my mate questioned with concern.

I nodded and said, "I'm sure. This one was incredibly easy to get under control."

"Okay... Just be careful," Randal replied. I gave him a small smile and he grabbed my hand. He placed it against his lips and in a blur of warmth and sparks he gently kissed it.

"Where's Jason? We need him," Derek wondered as he started to look around.

"He'll be here soon. You can't rush good magic," Randal reassured him and let my hand go. Derek nodded and started to silently fiddle with his hands.

"Where's Ashley?" I asked him.

He looked up at me with his big blue eyes and answered, "She's with the medic runners."

"Hey dude she'll be okay," Randal comforted him.

He nodded and replied, "Yeah I know. She's a tough gal."

"20 minutes! Get your asses where they need to be before you lose your ass," Jerome yelled out. A few seconds later Jerome showed up with Jason at his side.

"Is everything in place?" Randal asked Jason. The wizard nodded and I noticed how pale he looked.

"Damn Jason you look awful," I commented.

"Yeah... I'm drained. Does anyone have like a Gatorade... or a capri sun?" He asked.

"Why would any of us have a capri sun?" Jerome questioned.