Chapter 2

Randal's P. O. V.

I kept glancing at Cara while the doctor was examining her. How is this possible? I've known her my whole life, so how is it that I couldn't tell that she was my mate till tonight? I should've been able to tell once I turned 16.

Hell, I remember staring at the back of her light brown hair in chemistry hoping that she'd end up being my mate. So how is it that she wasn't then but is now?

Checking again I sniffed the air as the doctor shined a light into Cara's hazel eyes. Sure enough, her scent is different from what it was before. A person's scent doesn't change unless they've mated with a wolf. Her scent doesn't have that distinctive wolf-like smell though. It's just cherry blossoms and vanilla, instead of her old strawberries and honey smell. It's like she's a completely different person.

"Why are you staring at me?" Cara snapped at me. I surfaced from my thoughts and focused on her pretty face.

"Sorry I kind of went into a trance," I apologized rubbing the back of my neck, and forced myself to look away from her quickly.

"Yeah... well next time you do that, have the door be your staring point," she suggested a bit harshly. My eyes snapped back to her as an automatic response to her words. She's definitely the same person. Even with an entirely different scent and no memories she still acts exactly the same. I rolled my eyes at her in response but decided to not say anything for the time being. I continued to stare at her, but I made it less obvious this time, opting to look from the corner of my eye instead of straight on.

She crinkled her small nose and her brows scrunched together as she looked at me with a curious yet intense glare. "Why can I not stare at you, but you can stare at me?" I questioned with a small smirk. Her cheeks turned a bit rosy at my words and I felt a wave of satisfaction roll through me. At least I know I can affect her in some way.

"I wasn't staring!" She lied to me as she bit her pinkish bottom lip. I gave her a skeptical look and crossed my arms.

"Sorry honey, but I was here the whole time and you were, in fact, staring," The doctor intervened looking up from his clipboard briefly before going back to the work at hand.

I smiled at Cara victoriously as she gave the doctor a death glare. Once she saw my smile she childishly stuck out her tongue then crossed her arms and leaned back against her chair. The doctor cleared his throat to get our attention. We turned to face him and I asked him jokingly, "So what's the diagnosis doc? Is she gonna live or am I gonna have to kill her myself?"

Cara's eyes went wide at my words and fear filled them. "I'm just kidding," I tell her and unconsciously placed my hand on her shoulder. She jumped slightly at the small sparks that she must have felt from my touch. I quickly removed my hand and we both acted like it never happened... like we didn't feel it.

"Well, she has amnesia. I'm guessing retrograde, but there are no traces of trauma to confirm it. She should get her memory back but there's no telling how long it'll take. She's pretty dehydrated so we're going to give her a quick IV before we let you two go," the doctor informed us.

"What do you mean 'let you two go'?" Cara asked creating quotation marks with her fingers.

"Well you don't have any family to come get you, and no offense but someone with a brain injury should not be driving," the doctor answered looking her in the eyes with an unwavering finality.

Cara thought deeply about what he said and nodded. Her eyes seemed a bit sad for a moment, but in the very next instance, it was gone. She looked around and finally noticed my gaze."Can't you just drive me?" Cara suddenly asked the doctor. The doctor let out a laugh while I frowned and folded my arms. Why doesn't she want me to take her? I'm her mate! She may not know that, but can't she feel the pull?

"If you want to wait 9 hours and miraculously remember where you used to live," He answered her.

Cara blinked then turned to me and asked, "You know where I live?" I nodded my head and she frowned.

"Come on doc! You can't let me be taken by what must be a stalker," she pleaded with the graying-haired man as she waved her arm towards me dramatically.

"Cara, I've known you and Randal since you were in middle school. You may not remember but Randal is definitely not your stalker," he told her as he reminisced the times in the past where his path converged with ours due to Cara's and mine's rivalry. She looked at me again. She took turns glancing between me, the doctor, and the door. Finally, she let out a sigh, obliviously making what should have been an easy decision, and said, "Fine. He can take me."