Always

9 years ago
He sat there his arms draped around her, claiming her and all I could do was watch in the background. He made her laugh
He made her smile
I wasn't going to take that away from her, not after she had lost so much. She deserved this.
He didn't deserve her.
"Keke" my mother smiled turning around to face me as she sat on the couch. " don't you want to join us" she pattered to the seat next to her.
Next to him.
I gave her a small smile shaking my head. "It's ok I was thinking of staying at betty's for the weekend. If that's ok".
She turned to look at him brows creasing. No don't ask him, he'll keep me here. I wanted to scream at her.
He looked away from the TV and turned to face me. My body froze. My hands rose to hug my chest. Trying to keep myself protected.
He slowly shook his head and I wanted to fade away.
Please...please...please.

Present day

we arrived in DC in the early morning. we didn't speak to one another and in a way I was glad. He sat next to me with a moody look on his face the whole way there. Just looking at it told me to take the hint.

We stayed in one of the top floor penthouses making it easier to plan and communicate with each other. Highly doubt we'd be communicating unless it's to throw insults at one another.

There was a huge livingroom and mini bar when you entered with floor length windows giving a beautiful view of the city. On my left looked to be the kitchen and open dining room.a small office next to it. The right consisted of three bedrooms each with there own bathroom.

Ronan dropped his suitcase in front of the door and went straight to the mini bar. "Day drinking doesn't look good on you" I resorted.

He rolled his eyes opening a bottle of whiskey. " I'd be suprised if I haven't driven myself to alcoholism after this" he muttered under his breath pouring himself a glass. " we need to start planning" taking a swig of his drink.

Stretching my arms and pretended to yawn "how about tomorrow I'm tired and my poor feet are hurting" I said looking down at my feet.

"We don't have time" he gritted out.

"Two months is enough time" I picked up my suitcase carrying it to one of the rooms which turned out to be the biggest one. Lucky me.

"I can't believe this" I heard Ronan argue with himself as I went to close the door.

I began unpacking, placing my clothes inside the closet. Beginning to undresses and change into my pyjamas that consisted of long pants and a long sleeved top.

When I finally finished I reached for my phone and dialled my mother letting her know I was well and I wasn't in town for two months. "They got you working all the way in DC for a patient?" She questioned. She didn't know what I actually did, when she asked what I was working as I told her I was a travel nurse.

" I know" I sighed. " I promise I'll be back for your birthday, I love you"

"I love you too" she replied before hanging up.

I tucked myself into bed and tried to sleep.
****
Sweat covered my forehead whilst thrashing in my bed. I woke up panicked, my chest rising and falling at a fast rate. When I looked at the time it was 2am in the morning. The time I would usually get up. I Did a little stretch then got on my feet.

I did what I had always done and checked all around my room for anything unusual or out of place. It was a ritual for me now ever since I was 14.

When everything was in check I went to the toilet and did my business, grabbing my small knife and the file finally heading towards the living room.

I skimmed through the file marking down the events and spots we needed to watch. I grabbed a paper map crossing the places we needed to be and the time we needed to get there. Making sure we always had an eye on him

My body froze, it naturally did that. sitting on the couch in silences trying to catch the noise. It got closer and closer and I jumped fast as a could from my seat attacking whatever it was.

I landed on a hard body, my thighs straddling it's chest locking in place. I placed my small knife to his throat, my hair falling on my face.

He began moving trying to free from my grip. "KIERA GET OFF ME" Ronan yelled and I instantly relaxed. I got off him and sat next to his body. "You scared me!!!" I whisper yelled even though there was no point. "What are you doing awake?"

"What are you doing awake hmm" he bit back. Ronan looked behind me and noticed the scattered papers "Planning to do this on your own" he snarled.

I just shrugged getting up. " and what if I am? We both know I don't need two whole months to complete this task and I most definitely don't need you" I pointed the small knife at him.

" whatever you say lamb" he seemed to be unbothered " let's just get this shit done so I don't have to see your face again" he pushed me to the side moving towards my plans. Rude.

I headed towards the kitchen, grabbed an apple and a bottle of water and headed back. Sitting across the coffee table, Ronan began adjusting my plan. "What the fuck man" I gritted out.

"It was a tacky plan, good but tacky. You can thank me when we leave here alive". He reached and grabbed my water bottle, drinking it down.

"HEY" I said shouting. Ronan wiped his mouth and began going through the plan. " tomorrow he's going to be at the house representatives" he circled the building. " Sebastians gotten us access in, now all where doing is observing. No funny business" he rose a brow at me.

"What??" I said Acting innocent. " whatever you were planning don't". He crossed his arms over chest. " I wasn't planning anything" I lied.

He narrowed his eyes at me. He shouldn't believe me. After all these years I never stuck to one thing. I always changed my plans last minute. Was I going to do that in this mission? Who knows?

We spent the whole night going through the plan and making sure there were no mistakes plus arguing every time I didn't or he didn't agree with something.

We'd been planning long hours that we didn't notice the sun had risen.

"You ready" he asked me.
"Are you" I asked him.
He gave me a crooked smile "always".