Happy birthday

We both stood outside my mothers house.

I wore a floral skirt that reached my knees, with a plain white short sleeved shirt and a pair of pumps to finish off the look.

"Before we go in" I faced Ronan who stood beside me. "My mother might say things she doesn't mean, she took Brandon's death hard, if she does just ignore the question"

"You don't need to worry" he reassured me, linking our hands together.

Butterflies began dancing in my stomach as my heart played them a melody.

Not long after my mother opened the door, her once blue eyes turned grey from the sleepless nights, her hair once a forest brown turned into a plain white. She looked exhausted and I hated it.

I hated how hard his death impacted my mother, she completely changed as a person. She no longer smiled. She would put one on occasionally for display but it was never real, no longer laughed and it ached my heart.

"Happy birthday mama" I released Ronans grip moving to give her a hug.

"Hello shortcake" she squeezed.

Releasing me, her eyes turned to Ronan "and who might you be?"

"Ronan, a pleasure to meet you" he gave her a gentle smile.

Her lips twitched "oh nice to meet you too" giving him one of her fake smiles. "Come in you must be freezing"  stepping aside to let us in.

I walked Ronan through the main room whilst my mother closed the door behind us.

"Well this is unexpected" she announced "the only boy I've ever seen you bring here was Michael it's nice to see a change"

Ronan's body stiffened beside me, his hands balled up into a fist. I placed a hand around it ensuring him nothings wrong. I mean it was only Michael a friend I had known for years.

Mama looked down at our hands and back up to meet my eyes. I saw something flint in them almost as if she was amused.

"Shall we sit down?" She headed towards the seats. I let go of Ronan and moved to sit beside her whilst he sat across from us.

"Here" I handed her a small box. She rose a brow at me "I told you no presents". Shrugging at her I pulled out a gift bag.

"Kiera" my mother's voice grew stern.

I patted her shoulder " you need to indulge yourself once in a while".

Carefully watching as she unwrapped the small box. She held up a silver bracelet that had a small love heart in the centre and the words 'love you' engraved on it.

The mother held it close to her heart "I love it shortcake, thank you" an almost smile.

She went for the bigger bag but I placed my hand on hers "maybe you should open that later" redness blooming on my face.

My head turned to Ronan, watching how his expression was fully on both of us. His eyes met mine and his features instantly eased.

My chest tightened watching him. I didn't know what to think of him, throughout this past few months my view on him had completely changed.

He wasn't the man I used to challenge ever time I had the chance, not anymore. I didn't see him as the man I hated or the man who'd irritate the shit out of me.

No.

My view on him completely switched from the time we spent away. How he took his time and understood me. How he was the one to ask for pleasure on the trip yet he never took any of his own always focused on me.