Chapter 5: Dragons Fire

One week later

After a whole week of relaxation Thranduil was enjoying the last day of complete company of his wife and child.

They all went riding together without the guards much to Thranduil's protests. They rode through the vast green lands of the property even riding up to Dale for a visit. There they saw the many merchants selling just about everything man could offer. Legolas was simply fascinated by the humans and their ways, a fascination Thranduil hoped was just a phase. After a long day in the city the elves left back for their palace.

After arriving back they had dinner, but this time like the rest of the week since the incident Thranduil simply let Lorraine feed little Legolas. However after dinner the family relaxed by the large fireplace in the palace as Thranduil read Legolas a story of the war of the ring, a toned down version as to not scare his little elfling, until he fell asleep. Lorraine and Thranduil then put him in his crib, and walked to their bedroom. They then got into their bed and chatted for a bit.

"I don't want this to end" Thranduil said quite clearly.

"Well unfortunately it has to for you are the king and have to run our kingdom"

"But I don't want to stop having time for you and Legolas, I mean he'll only stay a little baby for so long"

"You can always find more time for him and me, I mean it won't always be this busy"

"But I don't want to have to find it I want to have it, I don't want you and Legolas to resent me for not being around like my nana and I did with my ada."

"That won't ever happen, for unlike you and your ada, me and Legolas or at least he will know you want to be with us."

Thranduil began to feel better.

"How is it you always know what to say to me"

"It is because I am your wife and know what makes you tick, now good night my love I'll see you in the morning"

Lorraine kissed her husband then turned to the other side and closed her eyes.

"Goodnight my love"

Thranduil then turned to the side his wife was on and put his arms around her as if he would never let her go for all eternity and fell asleep. Little did either of them know that a greedy and destructive creature looked enviously at the shining silver palace.

All was silent and quiet nothing stirred but the guards on watch. Then there was suddenly the sound of large wings flapping. The guards looked around to see where it was coming from, but then heard nothing for it was silent once again.

Then a great ball of brilliant fire shot out of nowhere and hit the east side of the palace with much force. Shortly after a great thud and roar were heard, all the guards gathered to find the noise came from a great red dragon.

The dragon had great yellow eyes, large sharp claws, he was the size of mountain, with enormous and terrible wings, and scales more crimson than rubies.

"I was on my way to Dale to pillage it of its treasure, but saw this place and figured I should make a small side plunder!" Smaug laughed maniacally.

All the guards rushed to try and kill the monster, but had no black arrows in which to do so which resolved them to their arrows. To no avail the arrows were more like mere toothpicks to the beast.

All the noise of dragons and battle woke up Thranduil and Lorraine causing them to seek out the source of the noise. Thranduil went to their balcony to see the great battle going on between the elven soldiers and the dragon.