Chapter 8: Bookshelves

After changing Legolas Thranduil decided to take a break from his kingly duties and spend the day playing with his son. However this turned out to be more work than his kingly duties and nearly gave him an ulcer.

It all started when Thranduil decided to play a simple game of peekaboo with Legolas. They were sitting in Legolas's Nursery having some nice father-son bonding time.

"Peekaboo!"

Legolas giggled with insane joy as his Ada "appeared" before his eyes. Thranduil once again put his hands over his eyes causing Legolas to look around in confusion.

"Peekaboo!"

Legolas responded with the same reaction as he reached his chubby hands towards his Ada. Thranduil gladly drew his son closer to him as he cooed and tickled him. It was then one of his advisors came in causing Thranduil to blush from being caught in such an unreserved moment.

"Excuse me your highness, I don't mean to disturb you on your day off, but I have some matters which must urgently be discussed."

Thranduil stood up leaving Legolas rather confused causing him to wonder from where he was sitting.

After a few minutes of conversation Thranduil finally cut off the discussion, it was his day off after all.

"Now is that all that needs discussing?" Thranduil asked rather annoyed.

"Yes my king."

"Good, now please do not disturb me anymore today."

"Of course my king."

The advisor bowed and left the room at last allowing Thranduil to continue what he really wanted to do. He put his hands over his eyes and kneeled down. He opened up his hands ready to hear elfling laughter only to find nothing there. Thranduil frantically looked around Legolas's nursery only to find his son nowhere in sight.

"Legolas!"

Thranduil called and called as he searched the palace for his precious little leaf only to no avail. He continued for almost an hour just about ready to give up, until he heard a loud giggle from his office. Overjoyed he ran to his office only to find nothing there, confused he looked around until he heard it again. Thranduil swore he heard it coming from his bookshelves, he turned around to only to have his heart stop for on top of the bookshelf was his son.

"Legolas how did you, why are you!"

Thranduil simply couldn't find the words to describe his fear for his son's safety at the moment. Then much to his horror Legolas started to crawl towards him only to fall off the shelf. With a sudden adrenaline rush Thranduil sprinted towards his falling son at an astronomical rate, and caught him. Thranduil tightly gripped his son in his arms relieved that his son was safe in his arms.

"Legolas you had me so worried! Do you have any idea how hurt-"

Thranduil stopped his yelling as he felt his sons terrified grip on him, he was shaking uncontrollably. He immediately started to rub his son's back causing Legolas to start to calm down.

"Sorry Ada." Legolas said quietly.

Thranduil simply breathed in knowing this was not the time to chastise his son for he was genuinely sorry.

"I know my son, but you had Ada worried very much. You are one of the most precious things to me, and I don't know what I would do with myself if you ever got seriously hurt. Now how about we find something a bit more safe to do?"

Legolas nodded and curled up into his adas arms, and started to fall asleep.

"I guess a nap could do the both of us good." Thranduil laughed feeling rather winded himself from his frantic search.

Thranduil walked over to his room and laid Legolas down on his bed figuring it be best if he kept a close watch. Thranduil then proceeded to lay down next to his son happy to know his son was safe and close to him. He hoped that would be the last of the antics that day unfortunately it would not.