Chapter 7: A Queens Journey

Three months later

Things had returned to normal for the elves and all seemed peaceful that is on the outside, however all the elves could feel the darkness grow stronger. Though most tried to ignored this growth hoping it would solve itself. Thranduil especially, knowing if this threat grew it would mean war and that his own precious son would join the ranks of the army and possibly die. Luckily that was a long ways away and Legolas was still a precious little elfling in his arms wanting nothing more than his ada and nana.

As Thranduil read over the treatises on his desk he heard the door crack open a bit but saw nothing. He returned to his work only to be disturbed by a small tap on the leg a few minutes later. The king looked down to see the small elfling sitting on the floor with his hands up towards him. The king gladly indulged such wants and lifted him by the armpits towards his face as he gave him a big raspberry.

"How did you get here my little leaf?"

Legolas simply babbled what might have been an answer.

"Honestly pen tithen ever since you started crawling you have only become more and more trouble"

Legolas simply giggled in response, and it was then Lorraine burst through the door.

"Thranduil I can't find.....!" She started to yell when she saw what she was looking for in Thranduil's lap.

"Legolas!"

Lorraine ran over and picked up Legolas kissing and hugging the giggly little elfling.

"Thranduil how did your find him"

"I didn't he crawled to me"

"Oh my little leaf why must you worry your nana so, honestly since you started crawling you seem to be giving your ada and I more reasons to worry"

"I'm confused though how did you lose him?"

"Well I was playing with him in the nursery when one of the lords came to me and asked me to do something"

"What exactly?"

"Well... you.. see... he asked me if I could take on a diplomatic mission for him"

"What!"

"You see there were to many things to accomplish so he wondered if I could do it"

"What did you say!?"

"Well I said... yes and that's when Legolas must have crawled off to you"

"Wait you said yes! Why, you know it's to dangerous to travel now with all the Oriki on the loose at the moment"

"Dear, as the queen I have political responsibilities as well"

"I know, but I don't want you to get hurt"

"Look I'll be back before you know it"

"Alright but please be careful"

"I will"

Lorraine kissed Thranduil and then noticed the little elfling in her arms falling asleep.

"Well I do believe it's someone's nap time"

The elfling tried to protest but to no avail as his eyelids grew heavier queuing Lorraine to take him to the nursery.

"I'll put him down and then I need to start packing for me journey seeing as I leave tomorrow"

"Alright, well I better get back to my duties as well"

Lorraine then left the room to put Legolas down for a nap leaving Thranduil to sit and worry for his wife's safety tomorrow. He prayed to Arda that she would be safe and that no harm would come to her.

The next day

It was morning and the queen was holding Legolas for the last time before she left as she talked with her husband.

"Be safe my love and good luck on your journey and I hope you are successful in your endeavors, but just know that I love you and that I'll be thinking of you and missing you everyday. "

"I love you too and will think of you as well with all my heart and I will miss you both so much."

She then hugged her husband very tightly, squeezing Legolas in the process, and then handed him to Thranduil as she said her last goodbyes. Legolas started to fuss and whine as she left grabbing for his nana as she got on her horse. Thranduil quickly started to bounce and shush to try to soothe the small elfling. Lorraine started to ride off and waved as she reached the gates and then was officially gone.

"Well Legolas it appears it's just me and you for a while, so what should we do?"

Legolas simply babbled for a bit as if to answer his adas question. As he did so Thranduil then smelled something rather unpleasant.

"OOOH well first we better get you changed and then we'll feed you and go from there."