Kaoru x Reader

I've lived my life mostly by myself. I have my family, but I've never been the type to try and talk to new people. I just don't really understand other people beyond the basics and I've never really cared to try. There is just too much beyond what is obvious that is too hard to see and too complicated to figure out. I've only ever really had one friend but when he moved away before we entered highschool, I was just by myself but I didn't mind. I would go and enjoy nature and scenery as I read since I can't spend that time with my friend anymore. It was peaceful and quiet, but also a bit lonely. But that all changed when I met her.

------------------------------------

Six Months Ago...

One day after school, I went to sit near the river, listening to the gentle sound of the water as I read when I heard her voice behind me.

."Hello L/n. The wonder of the view is so very fleeting is it not?"

I turned to see it was my classmate. "Um hello. Kaoru Seta right?" I replied. As detached as I am from my classmates, I've heard enough underclassmen girls fangirling over her that I've picked up her name and that she is a big deal in the drama club.

"I am indeed. So what were you doing before I arrived." she asked.

"Um just reading and enjoying the view." I answered.

"I see. How wonderful it is to connect oneself to the author." She said

"Um.. Okay." I said "I'm sorry if this is rude or anything, but I was wondering why you came up to me, I've always assumed that I'm not exactly the most approachable."

"It is about the performance you put on during your class's play for the school festival. The way you performed was so very fleeting so I was pondering whether or not you would have any particular interest in joining the drama club." She said

I have no clue what she meant by fleeting, but I figured she probably was saying that my performance was good but I didn't understand why. I just tried to do like everyone else was doing. My role wasn't even particularly large, it's not like I was a villager or something like that but it was just a side character.

"Um... I dunno why you would say something like that. I was just mimicking what I saw others doing." I said

"You say that and yet your performance was so very alive. It shone with something that I couldn't see within the performance of any of the others." she said.

"Okay. Listen I dunno if I could do any good in the drama club. I can't really understand other people very well and I don't think that would be any good so I'm sorry but I'm going to have to pass." I answered

"Very well, if that is what you have decided upon then I will not press it upon you, but just know that if you ever change your mind, the drama club would happily take you with open arms." she said before she began to walk away.

-------------------------------

After Kaoru left that day, I couldn't get her out of my thoughts. Like with other people I had trouble understanding her but when it came to her, I wanted to. I couldn't help but want to understand who she was beyond the basic level I have of other people. And so I ended up taking her up on her offer and I joined the drama club as a way to be able to talk to her and try to connect to her. She ended up happy that I had joined the drama club and like she said, the drama club welcomed me with open arms.

Since then I've ended up befriending Kaoru and at one point she told me about Hello Happy World and I started going to their concerts to cheer her on. I've also worked hard so that what Kaoru said about me how I performed would be a reality and in the end I've gotten the role of the main antagonist of tonight's performance for the first time ever.

Once the performance finished, I was sitting down and relaxing for a bit when I realized that I never really figured out why I was so drawn to Kaoru. I mean I know she is pretty good at drawing people's attention, but I don't think that's it. I could probably ask for some advice, but I feel like in this case, I want to keep the truth of these feelings to myself. I've changed since I met her and I've gotten better at understanding the people around me. She pulled me out of my self isolation and in the end, when I think of her I can't help but smile. Wait... could I be in love with her or something? If I am, what do I do about it? I feel like I've learned to understand her a bit, but I have no clue how she would react to me telling her those sort of feelings. But still... I want to tell her how I feel, for better or worse. I pulled out my phone and sent Kaoru a message: If you have time tomorrow, could you meet me by the river at 5:30? I picked up my bag and headed back home to rest for tomorrow and mentally prepare myself for what I want to do.

-----------------------------------

The next day, I sat by the river where I first spoke to Kaoru and sat in the same spot. I pulled out my book to relax myself, but I was still having trouble gathering the words to tell her how I feel. I sighed and closed my book before I stared out at the river and began to focus entirely on what I wanted to say.

Eventually, my phone vibrated and I turned off the alarm I had set to tell myself that it was 5:30. I looked to my left and my right to not see Kaoru in sight.

"I guess it wasn't possible for her to meet me here." I said to myself.

"Oh but I'm right behind you my dear Y/n."

I turned and saw that indeed Kaoru was approaching me from behind. "Hey Kaoru." I said, smiling.

"This is the place where we first spoke, is it not?" Kaoru asked "Such a fleeting moment. I can hardly believe that six months have passed since then."

I was a little surprised that she had used fleeting correctly since that isn't particularly common, but I didn't let it show. "It is the same place, I figured that this is a good place for this. Fitting or whatever."

"Fitting for what my dear Y/n?" Kaoru asked

I opened my mouth to say my feelings to her how I planned, but the reality of the moment had caused them to escape me and so I took a deep breath before I ad libbed it. "Kaoru, I'm not good at understanding people, but after we spoke that day, I wanted so much to understand someone. That person is you and while I know you probably don't feel the same, I wanted to tell you that I think I might be in love with you."

Kaoru's smile changed and she replied "My dear Y/n, I'm glad to hear that I could be somebody who could make you want to understand somebody. And I must confess, I have become quite fond of you too."

"Wait so-"

"Indeed, I love you too Y/n. I hope that our relationship will be a fleeting one." Kaoru placed a hand upon my chin and kissed me. Not how I was expecting this to go, but okay.

"Kaoru, I want to understand you more as we spend more time together and we get closer." I said. I've lived my life mostly by myself, but I don't want my life to stay that way. I want to connect and understand the people close to me on a deeper level than I've ever done before.

-----------------------------------------

A/n: Kaoru's way of speaking is a bit hard for me to get the hang of when I'm writing, but I definitely had fun with it. I've always thought that connecting to people and bringing each other into each other's lives as a wonderful part of life and a wonderful theme for a story and it's one I'll always love to use in my stories in the future