Aya x Reader

With the warmth of the July sun against the back of my neck, I sat at a table in front of CiRCLE, typing on my laptop.

"I'm getting no headway here." I grumbled to myself

"Huh? What's wrong Y/n?"

I turned and saw that working behind me was Aya, who has become a friend of mine since I started work here, and maybe someday, it'd be kind of nice if it became something more. "Hey Aya, it's nothing..."

Aya looked over my shoulder at my laptop and said "You're writing your next book, right?"

"Yeah. I was." I said "Or at least I was trying to." About six months ago, I made my debut as an amateur author and in hopes of giving myself the inspiration and motivation for my next one, I started work at CiRCLE to expand my world.

"What do you mean you were trying? I hope I didn't bother you." Aya said

I sighed and smiled at Aya. "That's not it." I said "It's just I've been having a problem and it's left me kind of struggling."

"Do you think maybe talking about it would help some?" Aya asked, sitting down across from me.

"Maybe." I said. I trust Aya and so maybe confiding in her will help. "As you know, my first book, Marionette, was released."

"Yeah, and it ended up pretty popular, right?" Aya said

"I guess so. But it's not due to me. I've wanted to be an author when I grew up for a long time, so I've been writing stories for myself for a really long time. My uncle, who's an editor at a big publishing company, found my latest story and he helped me get it published. After it came out, I was happy of course, but then I started to realize that none of its popularity was due to my own writing being any good. If it wasn't for my uncle being my editor and working at a big company, where they could do more advertisements for the book, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere. Since I started to realize that, whenever I try to write I start to realize just how little there is about my book. Since my uncle is waiting for my draft, I've still been trying, but I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere."

As I vented my frustrations, Aya listened to me and as I finished, Aya looked at me and said "Don't think that way Y/n. Sure, your book did get advertised more, but if it wasn't for your own hard work to make it as good as it is, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere."

"Right..." I said. I guess I get what she's saying: the advertisements may have helped make it more noticeable, but the one who made it get as far as it did was my own work.

"I'm sure your next book is gonna be an even bigger success than your first, Y/n." Aya said

"Thanks Aya. I'll try to have a bit more confidence in myself." I said

Me and Aya continued to talk for the rest of my break, and as I got home that evening, I got in contact with my uncle and scrapped the story I had written so far, hoping to try and write something better and more soulful than my previous draft.

----------------------------------

Six Months Later...

Aya's Perspective

As I approached my home, I saw online that Y/n had published his second book, Wax Wings, just a few days ago. I'm happy for him, but I also can't help but wonder how he's doing because three months ago, he quit working at CiRCLE and we haven't been able to talk to each other as much as before.

As I reached the entryway, I saw that there was a rectangular package on the doorstep. I walked up to it and saw that it was for me and so after I entered the house, I saw that inside was a copy of Y/n's book with a bookmark poking out. I opened the book and saw on the inside of the book's cover was a message:

Hey Aya, it may have not stuck out to you as much as it did me, but a while back, you helped me find confidence in myself began and realize that while there were things that helped propel my further than I would normally, the person who ultimately brought me to this point was me and the things that inspired me. The biggest inspiration of all was you Aya. I love you. I'll be back at CiRCLE soon so come see me sometime. -Y/n

Y/n loves me? As I read that, I felt the smile on my face widen and a warmth arose in my chest. I'm so happy to hear that, I love him too. If he's coming back to CiRCLE soon, then I'll be sure to tell him how I feel.

--------------------------------

One Week Later

Y/n's Perspective

As I stood in the lobby of CiRCLE cleaning, I talked to Marina.

"It's good to have you back, Y/n." Marina said

"It's good to be back. Sorry that I was gone during the holidays and wasn't any help." I said

"It's fine. You had your reasons." Marina said

We continued to talk for a bit longer when somebody walked through the front doors of CiRCLE and as Aya saw me, Aya smiled and ran up to me. When she approached, we both ended up hugging each other as Aya said "I love you too, Y/n." When I heard those words, I was so very happy and I felt my heart skip a beat. When me and Aya ended up so far apart, it was only then that I realized just how much I was in love with her, and so I'm all the more happy to be with her again.

"I'm gonna let you go on an early break." Marina said, smiling as she looked at us.

She then left and as me and Aya sat down, Aya asked "Why did you quit so suddenly?"

"Sorry, I ended up becoming really invested in writing my book and so I could focus on it, I quit. But I was always planning to come back afterwards." I said

"Y/n, when you quit CiRCLE and we started to talk less, I started to worry that we would end up stopping altogether." Aya said

"I'm so sorry Aya." I said "But hey, Valentine's Day is only next week. How about we go on a date afterschool that day?" I said

"I'd love that." Aya said

We both spent my break together, catching up, with Aya resting her head on my shoulder as we spoke. This girl has been such an inspiration to me and helped me find some confidence in myself when I had none. And just like she works so hard for Pastel Palettes, I'm going to keep working hard myself and support her for as long as I can.

--------------------------------------------

A/n: If you ever start to think that your success or abilities are not your own, and are the result of something else, let's just call them wax wings, know that the one who brought you as far as you got wasn't the wings, it was you who controlled them. So have confidence in yourself and please know that in the end, the one who got you where you are is yourself.