32: I'll be wrapped around your finger (1997)

September 1997

They both start laughing as soon as the car door closes, Stevie resting her forehead on Lindsey's shoulder. "We're such terrible actors. Especially you."

"Me? Oh, come on," Lindsey scoffs. "They didn't notice a thing."

"Sharon did for sure. I think she's worried we're running off to elope."

"Well, we've still got tomorrow afternoon free for a shotgun wedding," Lindsey says, only 95 percent joking. Stevie shakes her head in warning and he kisses her cheek. "One more day, and then we can start sharing the good news. As long as you're ready, of course."

Going back to rehearsal the morning after they found out that Stevie was pregnant had been a challenge. Despite her insistence that she felt fine, Lindsey was watching her the way one would watch a priceless heirloom in a room full of kindergartners, and neither of them could conceal the smiles on their faces whenever they looked in the other's direction. It was like the early days of rehearsal last spring all over again, only this time they had a bigger secret than how they were sneaking behind the building during breaks to make out like hormone-addled kids.

Stevie had talked to her doctor the night before and had made an appointment for the day after next. "That quickly? You must've been throwing your name around."

"Hardly!" she protested. "That was all Karen. When the doc said she'd refer me to a high risk OB, Karen called the office and asked what time they opened. They said seven, and she said I'd be there at six. She didn't really give them a choice."

"Sounds about like Karen. But...high risk?"

"Just because of my age and because of...before," she clarified quickly. "Not that she thinks there's anything wrong."

"Okay. That's good," he said, trying to convince himself. In his experience, they never called in a specialist to tell you how well you were doing, but he wants her to have the best care possible and so he says nothing. If she and her doctor are optimistic, he can be too.

"And she told me that as long as everything looks okay, she doesn't think it's a problem for me to keep performing for these first few months. Oh, and you'll like this. She told me to stop the diet. Babies need a lot of carbs to grow, who knew?"

She was torn when she heard this, imagining herself gaining back overnight all the weight she lost, although secretly she was glad to have an excuse to indulge. Now, if only she was hungry. She'd felt queasy all day, even though she suspected it was just because of nerves and excitement. But when she mentioned that she could go for some toast, Lindsey insisted on personally going to the grocery store down the block, coming back with a loaf of sourdough bread and the vitamins her doctor had suggested.

When he got up the next morning, he did a double take. "Did you eat that entire loaf of bread?"

"No! What are you, blind? It's sitting on the counter right in front of you."

"Okay, not all," he said, amused. "But most of it."

"I ate several pieces. It's for the baby!" She glared at him from over her glass of orange juice (no more coffee for her) and he laughed, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

"I'm just kidding. What the baby wants, the baby shall get. Just like its mother."

And now mother and baby (plus dad) were getting on a private plane for their overnight flight back to California. Needing an excuse for their sudden absence, Stevie had told everyone that her mom had had a very minor heart attack. She was expected to make a full recovery, but she was understandably concerned and wanted to check in on her. Everyone was sympathetic and agreed that Lindsey should go with her for moral support. She felt bad about lying, and almost like she was putting a curse on her poor mom, but she told herself that it was just temporary and they would all understand when she told them the real story. Besides, nobody other than Sharon seemed suspicious. Even Chris, who was usually a human bullshit detector even three bottles in, appeared oblivious and preoccupied with something else.