Part 15

Jessica POV

The resort was beautiful. It was like a dream that I didn't want to leave. The laughter of the boys who consider me as their little sister brought me out of my thoughts. The bandages around their eyes were gone, replaced by sunglasses. They seemed the same as they were before the incident, but I knew that they were holding their fears from others outside of their little group.

I frowned, growing jealous of their friend dynamics. Why didn't I have that? Why did I not have any friends that I could consider family? Why did Kota talk me out of joining the Academy? If he hadn't, I could have the same thing as him.

Don't get me wrong. I love them like my family. They treated me like their own sibling and made sure I was safe. I knew I could always count on them. I dearly love my brother and mom, but sometimes I wish I had others I could go to. People I could talk to when you can't turn to your own family. People that were bound together by a secret that others couldn't know.

Kota has such a deep bond with the other eight. I know that the Academy has secrets. Secrets that no one but their members are to know. I remember wanting to be part of that. I wanted to have a group of people to call my team, my family, but I remember the nine cold eyes that shoved me away from that idea. Birds are known to be put in hard situations, but shouldn't I be the one who makes that decision?

Where was my family?

An arm came around me, and Luke's sweet cologne reminded me of sugar cookies. He leaned against me, almost knocking me to the floor if I hadn't braced my knees. "Exactly, kiddo. Now, I know that you're here to help us, but make sure you have tons of fun." His voice lowered to a whisper. "Maybe we can go to the kitchen and make some cookies."

The overprotective, go-green brother sounded so disappointed. "Luke, my radar is going off. You better not be doing anything stupid."

My lips twitched as Luke loudly gasped in false shock. He grabbed his shirt where his heart was as if he was hurt by him. "Me? When have I done anything stupid?"

I shook, trying not to laugh. No matter the situation, Luke always made people smile. It was his gift. But it was also a curse because no one really took him seriously.

Uncle spoke. He looked so done. "Luke, a few weeks ago, you put pancake batter in the toaster because you wondered if pancakes tasted better toasted."

I couldn't help but laugh before turning towards North. "You have a radar?"

North sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Live with him over a decade, and you'll be able to sense when he's about to do something that you'll regret."

Nathan snorted behind me. "That's for sure."

His comment made the smile on my face become stiff. How would I know? The only people I've lived with was Kota and he wasn't home most of the time. The Blackbourne team might treat me like their sister, but there is a line that I can't clearly cross. There would always be secrets between the two of us, and I don't want that. But I also know that I'm not fully part of their family.

The rest of the conversation continued before our guide Rachel laughed and spoke. "Please, stop. You're making it hard for me to stay professional. If all of you are ready, I'll lead you to your rooms."

She started to lead us down the hallways, slowly because Raven wasn't such a great guide. Sean tripped two...or ten, times before Raven just grunted and picked him up, carrying him like a bag of potatoes over his shoulder. Sean started to gripe and the group stopped as everyone tried to get Raven to let Sean down.

I sighed at the ruckus my brothers and their friends made. Reaching for my bag for gum, I brushed against my empty side. I looked down, disappointed when I noticed that my bag wasn't there. Turning towards my mom, I told her that I was going back to the car to grab it. Mom just nodded, giving me the car keys. We both knew that Raven would be stubborn and the group wouldn't move for at least another five to ten minutes or until Corey convinced Raven to let him down to make out with him.