Chapter 20

Sean POV

I covered my mouth as it stretched wide with a yawn. Tears prickled in my eyes, and I smacked my lips to get the stretched feeling from my cheeks to go away. Rustling nearby made me turn my head towards the sound. The crinkle of pages turning made my heart thump nervously. I was familiar with the sound of someone rifling through medical charts. The amount of pages Dr. Akatsuki went through was not very hope inspiriting but rather making nerves well up inside me.

The ugly grip of anger and disappointment crawled to the front of my mind before I shoved it back, too tired to battle against these ever these feelings. The nightmare from last night didn't help any either. Flashes of rolling scenery and the nauseating scent of wet copper made me turn my head away with a gasp, grasping at anything to take me from my memories.

"So what's the prognosis, doc?" I curled my lips in a smile. Some of us were taking to the medicine better than others. Owen, Kota, and Victor were slower due to Owen and Kota already having "damaged" eyesight whereas Victor was the closest to the vents. Silas, North, and Luke were able to see better than the rest of us but eyeglasses still wouldn't be able to help yet. Then there was Gabriel and me who were in the middle. Neither progressing nor digressing.

Dr. Akatsuki hummed. "There are marginal differences in your eyesight, Sean. We'll continue with the prescription." A warm hand patted my hand that I noticed was fisted against my knee. I forced my fingers to loosen, feeling the pain my nails left imprinted in my skin.

He spoke softly. "And how is your memory?"

I almost bit through my lip. The taste of blood was almost too strong but the fear that overtook me was stronger. My body tensed and I forced myself to speak. "It's doing okay. I'm not forgetting anything and I'm retaining my knowledge."

"That's good," he said as his pen scratched against paper. "Head injuries are always a difficult thing. Even old injuries, but this is good. Don't lose hope, Sean."

A bitter laugh burst through my lips unexpectedly. "It's kinda hard not to."

"It's hard right now, but there is progress. Believe me, Dr. Green, we are trying our best to restore you and your brothers' health."

My shoulders slumped as I let go of any tension. I sighed before rubbing my bridge. The soft yet foreign feeling of the bandages around my eyes rubbed against my skin, always reminding me of another thing that I lack. "I know. I'm sorry. It's just frustrating."

"I can't say I know how you feel but I do know frustration. It's hard to know what to do when the future is always uncertain. But remember, Sean. We will always be there for you."

I nodded, smiling slightly. The Academy always seemed to be there for me, even in the darkest of times. They were an extended family full of crazy cousins, aunts, and uncles.

"Now, who do you have with you today? Corey?"

Shaking my head, I straightened in my seat, the paper underneath me crinkling. I have always hated the sound and feeling of the paper on the seats. "It's actually Brandon. I think Corey is with Silas."

Dr. Akatsuki laughed. "It's always hard to differentiate between the two. I want you to take it easy today. Anyway, how are your parents? Did they come with you?"

My almost decent feelings plummeted, and I felt my expression go blank. "Uh, no. They're busy. Do you know my parents?"

"Noshiko was a researcher in my team a decade ago. We were rivals," he laughed, clearly reminiscing to his past. "We always tried to beat each other, but we found out we worked better together. Your father Shota came by for lunch several times, and we got to know each other. He is one of the most cutthroat lawyers I've ever met."