Chapter 19

Jessica POV

The sun was rising in the east, painting the sky in hues of red and pinks. It was at this moment when I was standing in front of the window, looking out at the rising sun that promised a new day, I realized that my new life was about to begin. Sang had cautioned me that finding people that I could feel comfortable with would be a long journey. She had told me a story about her friends Lake and Karla who did not seem like they seemed compatible but did form a group of their own.

I sighed, glancing at my cellphone. The time read that there was enough time for me to get ready before meeting up with the mysterious blonde girl. As I started to brush my teeth, I thought about her. She was a small thing, so frail and petite against me yet she seemed like she had all the confidence and happiness in the world. She held herself with a confidence that I was slightly jealous of. How she could find herself as a lone agent yet be happy with her position while I was struggling with the want of a family ate at me, but she had soothed my guilt by saying that everyone was different and that things might seem different from the surface.

Pulling my hair into a ponytail, I looked at my reflection. I was tall at 5'8 which I hated. I was taller than my so-called friends who averaged at 5'3. They had a cute and frail look about them while I had a more tall and slightly muscular frame from playing volleyball. I didn't have the soft curves as them, and my body was covered in bruises and scrapes from diving and hitting the floor in the sport. My eyes were a boring green with short eyelashes. My eyes were shaped weirdly that I could never wear the glamorous false eyelashes all of my ex-friends wore. My eyebrows were full which I thought looked slightly bushy. My lips were too large for my face, and I always wished for smaller lips. At least, my hair was my best features. The dark chocolate hair with natural hazelnut and caramel highlights had a slight wave, giving my hair volume without even trying.

I looked away from my image, disgusted with my appearance. Why was I so different from my friends? Was it because I looked different from them that they decided to separate themselves from me despite knowing me for years? Why couldn't I be like them?

Grabbing a sweater to hide my muscular arms, I made my way to the cafeteria. A small smile appeared on my face at the sight of Sang standing near the entrance. Her green eyes, so much lighter and such a prettier color than mine, glowed with happiness, and she skipped towards me. "Good morning, Jessica!"

I smiled shyly. "Good morning, Sang."

Sang smiled behind her mask. "You're so cute." My heart leapt at the compliment. I've been so used to my ex-friends' degrading remarks. "You'll be meeting a lot of people today. I know quite a lot of them, and I know that they will be nice to you."

I nodded my head, feeling a bit queasy. What if they didn't like me? Following Sang into the cafeteria, I kept my head down. My heart beat increased when I heard people greet Sang so carefree without the inconspicuous teasing tones. I pulled my sweater closer around my body when I didn't watch my step and I walked straight into someone's side.

With a gasp, I looked up. My hands were awkwardly in front of me as to grab onto the person I had bumped into to make sure I didn't hurt them. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," a warm voice said gently. It was so kind that it made me pause to look at the person. They were tall, probably around 6'1. Their features were so perfectly balanced between male and female that I couldn't tell what gender he was until he spoke in his deep voice. He had long black hair that reached his shoulders but the top half was pulled into a messy bun at the base of his neck. Warm and captivating amber eyes blinked at me, and his full lips were parted slightly in a smile. He chuckled. "It's no problem. No harm done."

I felt a blush warm my face. Great, the first time that I've met a person who I've felt attraction to, I had to ram my shoulder into their side. "Sorry."