*- Chapter Four -*

A few weeks later

      Evangeline had become a shield

Evangeline had become a shield. Her ability to now heal quicker than normal when she was shot at or hurt in any way made her be out in the filed more than she ever had been before.
Being an assassin wasn't something she ever thought they would want to her do. But she's done it.

With her partner, The Winter Solider, the two have become the most wanted across the land. HYDRA was boasting about the serum that had created their very own weapon. She was strong, she was fast, and with the help of her powers, she was invincible. Just like he told her she would be. Just like her Winter Soldier.

Over the course of a few weeks, Bucky had noticed the change in his soulmate. He's noticed the way she was as distant as he was...is. Before, Evangeline would at least talk a little bit, to pass time in their lonesome until their next mission.
But now, Bucky was forced to sit in quiet.

On missions, he had been surprised with how much skill his soulmate had while fighting. It's improved. They were training her more and more than they ever had and it's taken a toll on her. Not physically, no. But mentally. He had often worried about it out loud to her, but she had dismissed him and always said she was fine.

However, She had become more agitated. Anything ticked her off, especially if anyone tried to mess with Bucky.
A few doctors had learned the hard way that the new protocol was to never separated them. Not for too long, anyway.

"Hey... Est-ce que ça va?" (Are you okay?)
Her question was out of the blue, for they haven't talked since they got back form a mission they recently went on. He was glad it was quick and easy. No need for the machine today.

"Yes....are you?"

Evangeline wasn't going to lie to herself and say she hadn't noticed a change in herself. Bucky wasn't wrong...
but she was doing it for a reason. She was getting better, and stronger for a reason they weren't ready for.
They created her stupidly because at any moment, she could turn on them.

For years, she's never even thought about escaping. Their hold on her was too strong and the brainwashing had controlled her just how they wanted it to. She was too terrified to think about escaping, let alone attempt.
But now, now that she was invincible, she believed she could do it.

"Oui. I am." Her voice trailed off as she sat down in the corner of her cell. A place she felt the most like herself. She covered her ears with her hands and closed her eyes.

Bucky sighed. He moved from his spot on her bed and moved over to his own. He rubbed his mark on his right arm, a warm feeling washed over him as he turned around on his side, Evangeline had stood up from her corner and walked over to Bucky's bed. One that they've shared every once in a while.
Mostly when either one woke from a nightmare.

She sat down and curled up beside him. Her hands at her side as they lock eyes.

"J'ai un plan" she says, quietly.